Interesting (rare?) MiniPro problem

I powered on my Minipro today to find that it leans forward at an extreme angle, all the time.  It seems to think it’s level.  I tried the posture recalibration but that only calibrates the steering, so was no help.  And I tried the ‘power on while inverted’ trick and it had no effect.  I vaguely remember the early IOS app offered a tilt re-calibration tool which is no longer present. 

When I add steering input the vehicle levels out, but when going straight it rapidly resumes a fully tilted forward attitude and is unrideable.

Has anyone had this issue or am I the lucky first person to discover it? 

Edited by RooMiniPro

• 7 months later...

It looks like I'm the only one then.  Just to update, I never did find a solution.  I used the adjustment tool in the app to lean it back to -5.0 which got it closer to level and rideable, but not quite level and far from ideal.  I have now given up and have listed it in the for sale section.  If anyone wants a spare battery that's low mileage (the highest watt hour version) or other parts it may interest you.

Edited by RooMiniPro

20 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

It looks like I'm the only one then

ah okay I have understood
I have the same problem with my Mini S n3m240
For my part, it is at the axles, the reinforcement plate has become smooth, before it was notched
But there is a strong wear on one of the two plates
I think it's related to the wear of these parts
I obviously tried to adjust the balancing -4,5,  but it does not prevent the sliding forward

When you disassemble the wheel, you will see the plate, it is worn, disassemble the two wheels and compare the two plates, normally there were notches, striations, for me they are erased

mini-j-mini-tech-parts-repair-disassemble-mini-assembling-wheel-hub-motor-2.thumb.jpg.92a4e706e4f0bfd281bbe26936b16b48.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I don't think we are experiencing the same problem, though.  My wheels are not slipping at the axles.  It's just that my Minipro tilts forward when resting.  Like in this image:

If it was just the axles slipping under load the Segway's gyro would still be able to keep the device level when standing by itself because the gyro would detect that it wasn't level and tell the motors to turn until it was level.  Mine leans forward all the time.  It can still be ridden (but my feet are pointing down all the time) and it accelerates and brakes with great strength as normal and nothing slips, but it thinks the foot pads are parallel to the ground when they are not. 

MiniPro tilt problem.jpg

Edited by RooMiniPro

6 hours ago, RooMiniPro said:

It's just that my Minipro tilts forward when resting

it's true it's not the same problem
because me, my mini keeps the normal balance at rest
but I think the problem is material

Maybe

Capturec.PNG.0c3e465b73a5a5cf9a566186f08b2cb4.PNG

parts are worn
either it is the motor wheel bearing
either it's the wall you see the magnets on the inside
either it's the motor magnets

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Did the issue start after a firmware or an app update? I also wonder if the MiniPro might be in the go-kart mode.

It's not in go cart mode, no.  The problem started by itself.  One day I turned it on and there it was.  It stayed that way for several weeks.  Oddly, another time I turned it on it was not leaning as far forward. With the level set to tilt back at -5.0 (the max it will allow) it was almost level and comfortably ride-able.  Then some weeks later it went back to leaning too far forward, even with the adjustment set to -5.0.  Last night I turned it on and it was again not quite as far forward. So it switches between 'so far forward that even compensating with -5.0 will not level it out', and 'still forward but not so much that the compensation tool can't level it'.   

I have dismantled the device and checked that the main board and all other parts are secure.  And I have tried the upside-down reset trick many times with no effect on anything at all.  I appreciate any help anyone can give as I have not found a single mention of this issue online.  Ninebot/Segway customer service simply do not respond.

It's currently sitting upright, almost perfectly level, but not quite.   And I was able to ride it normally, without my toes pointing down, but I have the adjustment set to -5.0 in order to get it like this.  If I set it to default it's leaning too far forward.  I don't know why some days it leans farther forward upon power up than other days.  I wondered if it was interference affecting the gyro. The room I keep it in and have been powering it on in has a lot of electric gear, solar panel charge controllers, large lead acid batteries and audio equipment.  But this seems unlikely to me.  When the issue presents itself and I turn it off and take it outside and power it on, the problem is still there.  Equally, on days when it's not leaning as far forward and can be corrected in the app, it stays good no matter where I power it on. 

Edited by RooMiniPro

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd update this.  I was able to get it to be level most of the time, but only with the adjustment set to -5.0.  It was rideable but I still wasn't happy with it having to be set all the way to -5.0 just to be level.  And some days it would reset back to leaning forward again for no apparent reason and I'd have to fiddle with it to get it level again. I ended up selling it for quite a low price and I explained the problem to the new owner.  It was a fun machine but I didn't use it much after I got my second EUC.  My thanks goes to Jojo for trying to help me via PM. 

• Like 1