Boris loves hoverboards

Stephen Greenslade

Boris Johnson, London's colourful mayor, has written in today's Daily Telegraph:

'And there is one little thing we might do at once. Let’s get Back to the Future, and stop this ludicrous and nannying prohibition on the electric scooter-surfboard gizmos. They are the Segway-like things which the authorities have said young people may not use on the pavement.

Well, I have consulted Transport for London (Surface Transport) experts, and they think this hogwash. They are a new and potentially liberating form of personal mobility. We want to legalise them. If the oldsters can charge towards you on their terrifying chariots, the youngsters should be able to waft on their boards. It’s intergenerational fairness.'

Wow, for a politician to come out in favour of support of eWheels/boards takes a lot of bravery. Boris for PM!

I met Boris Johnson a couple months back near London Bridge: he was riding his classic (Raleigh?) bicycle, while I was on an IPS. I gave him a short demo, how one maneuvers around pedestrians, & for an experienced rider could be used in a 'mixed-traffic' environment considerately without posing a grave risk to the public. It was only a couple minutes encounter, he was unquestionable interested, but by then a flock onlookers were out with their mobile phones, I could sense he didn't want to be caught in a media compromising situation such as in 2012 on the slack line.  

boris-zip-line.jpg  

Archived