So, 5A fast chargers extend battery life?

I was reading about a fast charger sold by a dealer and the item description says it extends the life of the  battery by 4x . How does this work? Should I not then use the one that comes with the wheel? It's a 5A charger that has a battery lifespan extending mode of 64.8v instead of 67.2v

No they don't extend battery life. The only difference with fast chargers is that they charge faster.

This one seems to be a charger that doesn't charge to 100% (the final voltage is lower). It would only make a difference (but certainly not a 4x difference, not even close) if you kept the wheel at 100% for weeks at a time (which is bad for battery life). Simply charging to 100% alone isn't a problem if you use the wheel soon, with any charger. Not fully charging your wheel to 100% does nothing but deny you range. Also, a wheel should be charged to 100% once in a while to allow balancing, so if you were to only charge with this non-100% charger, that would actually be bad for the battery.

Looks to me like someone is selling subpar/defective chargers with at best dishonest (but really simply false) arguments (aka lies). Don't buy a charger that can't even fully charge your wheel. And buy any charger from a less sketchy seller.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 3

You already got a great reply. 

If a charger has the option to chose and charge 100% or not, that makes sense, but it not charging to 100% even if you want to? First time I see that...

On a note: also important to recharge a unicycle every month, not fully, if not being used for a long time, otherwise the battery may deplete completely with time, and die... Not charging anymore. 

Edited by Jean Dublin

I’m assuming you are referring to the eWheels charger, I’d use that to for top-offs on long rides, certainly not as a charger for daily use. Nothing particularly wrong with charging quickly as 5A on any reasonably sized battery shouldn’t significantly impact cycle life, but the eWheels CV stage is not particularly accurate which results in the battery never being able to fully charge. The CV state starts much too late and is a hard cut which doesn’t allow proper balancing.