KS18XL fan rumble

andreiru

Hey all, been reading the forum for some time. Having come from a v8 and v10f, I went for 18xl for range. My v10fs had issues - I’ve had a few of them, so I decided to sell them in the end. They have close to zero water resistance.

My ks18xl has a fan that’s almost always on, even when it’s on charge. Is this normal? 

There’s also a bit of a rumble coming from the same fan at times and it goes away after I shake or turn the wheel. It sound like a cable has come off loose and it hitting against the fan.. Else I’m not sure what it could be. Is it worth me having a look or shall I just leave it? What fan do they use, is it user replaceable? 

The wheel has done around 1,000 miles / 1,600km, not been dropped at speed. Had a case on it too. 

As for a "rumble" are your sure it's not linked to the wheel motor vibrating ? This normal... and if you move a little bit your wheel it will stop. As for fan I can't tell you if on mine it's always on because it's very quiet.... I can only hear it after riding for long time in hot weather. I remember also that you can check in the app if the fan is on or off...

It’s not the motor :-) fan shows as off in the app most of the time. Lucky you! Mine goes on when charging and it’s loud enough to disturb my sleep so I can’t charge it in the same room as me unless I’m playing music.. i find it pretty annoying.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With my 18xl if I plug in my wheel with a running fan the fan will stay on while charging. But in cold germany that is rarely the case and most of the time it is quiet, riding and charging. But mine has the same rumbling in its fan that only occur sometimes and is affected by bumps. My dealer says it's normal and it doesn't sound like a clipping cable to me, just like a broken fan, so I can ignore it.