Santa Monica (SoCal), party poopers

Yellowman

So I was in Santa Monica today for the first time and as I started my ride, I started to notice a lot of signs:

"No e-scooters"

"Bikes only"

"No e-scooters or motorized vehicles"

etc.

They did not list EUCs in particular but I think it is covered under the "no motorized vehicles". What a party pooper of a city it is! ;(

What are your thoughts?

(I don't want to ride next to cars when I can ride safer in biking trails by the beautiful beach).

11 hours ago, Yellowman said:

You know what is also sad? All the e-scooters littered everywhere in Santa Monica.

What is the deal with them? Who owns them and makes sure they are not broken, stolen and fully functional?

You can always be conventional, and fall back to riding a bike, or be slightly unconventional and ride an eBike (especially one of those "hidden" eBikes that you can't tell is an eBike).

Vox did an article some time ago about eScooters, and basically if the eScooter survives for 28 days then it breaks even. The more durable eScooters are doing that.

However, it seems such a waste to expect a vehicle to have a service life of a mere month, especially considering it's a motorized vehicle with expensive batteries. I would guess the majority of destroyed eScooters are  vandalized by local homeowners, because homeowners are the definition of nimby action.

We need a strong lobbyist -take for instance e-bikes, now they can ride almost everywhere depending on their class (class1-3). https://peopleforbikes.org/blog/new-e-bike-law-passes-in-california/

I since then purchased an e-bike but as everyone knows is not as fun an EUC. I am open for limited speeds on bike paths if it means we can use EUC there which are currently banned.