EUC Recommendation? First wheel, looking for a smooth wheel.

Bostic

Hey!

So I'm a new rider... I hopped on a unicycle about twenty years ago but quickly fell off (not by choice, but by gravity).  I have an electric scooter but I'm looking to graduate.  I am thrilled by the idea of an EUC and already know that I'll love it.  

Here's what i'm looking for:

• 1.)  Something that can take me to and from work.  It's about 2-3 miles each way.  Generally it's flat, but I do have to ride over a freeway.  It takes my 20mph scooter down to about 14mph. 
  • 2.)  I live in Irvine, CA for those local to OC.  It does rain here, sometimes, and I would like something that will handle well after a night of rain.  I feel silly driving just a couple miles to work.
  • 3.)  There's a great bike path that runs throughout the city and I'd like to take advantage of it.  I have family members about 8-9 miles away so it'd be nice to get there and back.  I'd prefer it if the ride were comfy.
  • 4.) I prefer not to spend too much, but I believe in quality and investment.  
  • 5.) I'm 5'7" and about 148lbs.

I'd appreciate any recommendations and thoughts.  My biggest concern is about my knee.  My patellar tendon is weak so I'm wondering if I can even ride these things?  What do you guys think?  I'm hoping it'll be ok.  

By the way... after researching and scouring the forums for a few weeks here are a few of my impressions:

• Most fun: MTen3
  • Best < 16" Wheel: MCM5
  • Best Ride: Nikola

Sounds like pretty much every wheel would work for you. Which one do you want? Look at all the shiny models available for an overview:

https://www.speedyfeet.co.uk/collections/electric-unicycle

https://www.ewheels.com/shop/

8 minutes ago, Shaun McLean said:

My biggest concern is about my knee.  My patellar tendon is weak so I'm wondering if I can even ride these things?  What do you guys think?  I'm hoping it'll be ok.

Can you stand on the ground? Then you can stand on a EUC. Can you walk up one step of a stair with each leg? Then you can step onto the pedal of a EUC. I fail to see how you could have a problem there. EUCing is not physically demanding at all (except when you are learning, then it is a bit).

7 minutes ago, Shaun McLean said:
  • Most fun: MTen3
  • Best < 16" Wheel: MCM5
  • Best Ride: Nikola

Yep! Though the jury is still out on the 16X.

Well to be fair, big and heavy euc with high pedal clearance isn't the easiest thing to flick around...if I had knee problems I wouldn't want to ride my MSX.  But there are lots of other options that wouldn't be hard to ride!

• Like 1

My wheel progression has been mten3 -> MCM5 -> Kingsong 16X. All within 5 weeks.

I love the mten3 and MCM5. But it took me over 200 miles on each before I started feeling at one with them. 

The MCM5 is a buttery smooth dream with a wonderful cushy tire. 

The 16X is new to me, so I feel meh about it. The tire is rock hard awful, you feel every shock. If I could I would return it in a heartbeat.