Does your unit have 'front' and 'back'?

MetricUSA

I thought I should be able to ride my machine 'forward' either way I mount the unit with no problem...but apparently, I have a front. Will on my last ride I had my power switch on my right side, but the whole time I felt like I was riding 'uphill' because of the constant tilt, on my way back I turned the machine around and notice a big difference, now going 'downhill'. Has anyone else notice this?

I had an extreme version of that when my EYU arrived from China. It needed recalibration as when at rest it had an 8 degree lean.

Does yours stand absolutely upright when at rest? Check it with a plumb bob, spirit level or level app on a smart phone.

Yeah what Gimlet said.  Your "horizontal calibration" may be off.  You may need to recalibrate.  Method to do it varies with manufacturer.  That said, sometimes the tires have treads that are directional that help reduce "aquaplaning" on wet roads that only works in one direction.

As I pointed out somewhere before it is written on the Schwalbe tech page:

Unlike a car, a bicycle will not aquaplane as the contact area is so much smaller and the contact pressure is much higher. The floating effect of aquaplaning could only theoretically be achieved on a bicycle ridden at speeds over 200 km/h.

I would have to say it is level, it would have to be, it is a 'dually', a two wheel that stands up by itself, it centers itself every time I turn it on... If it didn't it would roll by on its own...

Very strange, especially as although there is normally no official front or back the general opinion is that you ride with the button on the right.

Have you tried doing the same ride but reversing the direction of the wheel from the first time you did it, just to eliminate any effect the slope of the terrain may have had?

As I pointed out somewhere before it is written on the Schwalbe tech page:

Unlike a car, a bicycle will not aquaplane as the contact area is so much smaller and the contact pressure is much higher. The floating effect of aquaplaning could only theoretically be achieved on a bicycle ridden at speeds over 200 km/h.

So the aquaplaning issue has virtually no effect for electric unicycling regardless of tire size?  Are there any other factors that may make a specific direction of tire rotation superior to the other for eucing?

I would have to say it is level, it would have to be, it is a 'dually', a two wheel that stands up by itself, it centers itself every time I turn it on... If it didn't it would roll by on its own...

Totally irrelevant. It levels itself when you turn it on, but only to the point where its calibration tells it to. Recalibrate to a true level and it would be the same front to back. No idea how to do so on an airwheel. Gotway has an app that let's you set it. I've purposely set it on my gotway to be about 15 degrees off, so it thinks level is 15 degrees off, just to see if I could. It was totally unusable until I recalibrated. Check your "levelness" either with an app on your smartphone, or with any bubble level.

Archived