KS16S won't start or charge

Niclas

Hi,

I have drove my KS16S about 80km for a year without any crash or problem at all. 4 days ago I left it in my house 50% charged. Today it won't start.

When I keep the "power on" button pressed it just makes a clicking sound in the speaker and the power led flashes green and the frontlight is flashing red for every click it makes.

When I try to charge it the charger does not light.

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem is?

/Niclas

11 minutes ago, Niclas said:

Hi,

Welcome!

11 minutes ago, Niclas said:
I have drove my KS16S about 80km for a year without any crash or problem at all.

A typo? Or per day, week?

12 minutes ago, Niclas said:

When I keep the "power on" button pressed it just makes a clicking sound in the speaker and the power led flashes green and the frontlight is flashing red for every click it makes.

Can you connect to the app and if so what battery voltage/charge % are reported?

13 minutes ago, Niclas said:
When I try to charge it the charger does not light.

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem is?

Charger, battery or some connections went bad.

Take some multimeter and measure the charger voltage. If thats ok you'll have to open your wheel snd continue measuring at the inside to find the fault.

I'd assume you're out of warranty?

• Upvote 1

Hi Chirull and thank you very much for spending your time on this!

First you are right I made a typo. It should be 800km, I know it's not much in a year but I've not had so much time to ride in this wheel (which is my new one).

I agree with your suggestions to investigate the problem.

However, for some reason I left the charger connected even if the led was off on the charger and after 10 min the led came back on red. I left it for some more hours and the led was green and the wheel worked.

I guess it was completely empty for some strange reason (we will see if it drains again by itself during the night) and then it still charged even though the led on the charger was off the first 10 min.

What this story teaches everyone with a KS16S is to leave the charger in even if the charger looks dead if the wheel does not start.

Niclas

Fellow Ks16s rider here.  I want to help, but I can't think what the problem is.

This is what I think I understand so far.

1.  The power button is working, otherwise there would be no response from the wheel. Or is ot working too well, first switching on the wheel and switching it off in the same press (not sure if that's even possible).

2. What the wheel does when the power button is pressed is the issue.

3. is it the circuit that times how long the button is pushed? As we all know, too short a push and the wheel stays in its current state, so something on the mother board is timing the push.  A clock chip I suppose, or something simpler like a circuit with a capicitor to delay the voltage.

4.  If the timer mechanism is not at fault where doe the signal go next?  All over the board (via the batteries for power) I guess, energizing everything as it goes.

5. What would prevent start up at this stage? Battery too low?  Battery connectors severely corroded so as not to able able to pass decent current but enough to beep, etc?  Something in the Hall sensor circuit? But that usually results in four red lights per side and constant beeping.  After that, its "everything else" on the control board.  

Do you know another local 16S owner who would be willing to swap out boards temporarily, to see if the problem stays with the wheel or follows the board?  It's not too hard to remove the board, other than all the f.ing dismantling and reassembly.....twice (two wheels)

Good luck, keep us informed.