New Z10 rider

HermanTheGerman

After selling my KS16S last autumn (I wanted to concentrate more on mountainbiking again :) ) I couldn't resist this spring and bought a Z10. :eff04a58a6::efefa6edcf:

Until now I can only say it works great (didn't have one of the failures which are described here), and also didn't see an unexpected battery drain.

I confess, it is more difficult to ride than the KS16S, especially offroad. I was used to the KS16S like having skis on my feet, very short slalom was possible also at high speeds, and riding up or down a gravel road was no problem at all.  Very different here, seems I need to learn and practice a lot, at least offroad.  On asphalt it's fine, though it feels a little bit bulky, comparable as if one would change motorbikes from a Yamaha 125 to a Honda Gold Wing.  Not sure, if I like it as much as the KS16S, but need more practice, just rode 120 km until now.

It is, however, a great wheel, with it's silent speed, and meanwhile I set the limit to 46km/h, not 40 as below.

3_forum.thumb.jpg.8be53a79b438bd680891e744eb3f6513.jpg

Edited by HermanTheGerman
  • Like 1

I'm still not sure if this tire type is really intended to be used as off-road.

We can see analogy with road and motocross bikes. 9B1 "Z" is much more similar to road bike then motoX one.

This tire type is also reason why we are continuously checking different PSI. Higher pressure is definitely better for cornering on the tarmac but is then very hard and non-comfortable off-road.

I really like "Z" but it is definitely different wheel ;-)

• Upvote 1

I am not convinced the Z is any better off road either. On some surfaces maybe, but generally not. The relatively slick fat tyre has a much greater tendency to tramline (follow surface imperfections/camber) so if you get say a thick branch at maybe 45 degrees to your direction of travel you really need to take care. A thinner tyre may well just roll over it, even on a smaller wheel. That said, some riders just deal with it (and well) given some of the off-road videos of Z10's. I would wager though that those skilled riders would probably be just as quick on a 2.5" tyre.

• Upvote 1

I agree completely with you both.  On asphalt I'm fine with it now, though the tramlining you mention is there, and needs careful riding.

But offroad it's still a challenge, though it becomes better. But KS16S was far better to handle offroad.