Can I use a V5F without a smart phone

Gasmantle

Hi all,

I'm a new member in the UK and just considering buying my first Electric Unicycle, I rather like the look of the V5F but don't have a smartphone. I have a laptop, a tablet and an ordinary mobile phone so will I still be able to operate the uni using just the android tablet?  Will I be able to set up the uni at home then leave the tablet at home as I don't want to have to take it with me once the device is set up / registered etc ?

Many thanks

Peter.

Welcome Gasmantle! I am a V5F owner and I like to think of the app as a Heads Up Display where it tells you about your vehicle/whereabouts and is only extra information. You do not need to bring a device with you every time you want to go somewhere with it. 

The V5F was my first wheel and it's great, though knowing what I know now I would advise something with more battery if budget allows. Depending on your size and riding conditions, being able to travel distances will vary and may not be feasible in certain cases. Yet, I still think it's a great performing wheel for first timers and beginners.

Hi Oswald, thanks for your reply.

I did wonder about battery power but I'm a first time user and not really sure how well I will cope with the uni so I didn't really want to spend any more than the V5F costs. I doubt I'll go off road so really want it just more very short commutes of a few miles in urban areas.

If at a later stage I want something more powerful I guess I'll just have to upgrade but for now the V5F seems to be a popular beginner machine for light use.

16 minutes ago, Gasmantle said:

If at a later stage I want something more powerful I guess I'll just have to upgrade but for now the V5F seems to be a popular beginner machine for light use.

It's inevitable. There is no known cure for the EUC-VIRUS. :eff034a94a:

Hi Oswald, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the V5F is set with a speed limiter for the first few miles and once beginner training is complete it can be unlocked to give the full speed. Will my tablet be able to do that ? Thanks :-)

If you want the safety net, support and risk-less purchasing aspect of buying new then yes, Speedy is the best place to go in the UK. I got mine from Gearbest for £352 delivered but waited 7 weeks, had the worry of a DOA wheel and zero support should things go wrong with the wheel in the future. Yer pays yer money...

This is a short vid of my daughter after around 20 miles on the V5F (which doesn't take long to rack up surprisingly). She absolutely loves it. She was riding and cornering in about 5 miles!

Thanks Planemo, that looks fun :)

I hadn't hadn't heard of Gearbest but as you say they are considerably cheaper, it turns out the black V5F that I'd prefer is out of stock and even the white one is 7 weeks delivery time. I'd kinda like one next week to take advantage of the summer weather (if we get any) so it looks like it'll be Speedyfeet.

Just gotta hope I can ride the thing ;)

Yeah I got lucky, I much preferred the black and that was the colour that happened to be in the deal. The wait was a killer though. Just had to switch off about it really. You can't go wrong with Speedyfeet, I just didn't have the extra dough available at the time.

Like everyone else, you will find your first steps on the wheel totally and completely weird. You will wonder how you will ever ride the thing, with it just flopping side to side within your legs, with a mind of it's own. It will come. We practised in the kitchen, lots of things to help you mount and hold you up once you are on. Then you manage to wobble forward 30cm. Then 60cm. then 1m. After that, you are very close to being able to ride (although you might not think it), but you will still be very wobbly. Time then to move out into a bigger area. We used our back garden. The 1m turned into 2m and then a big jump to like 10m. After that you are pretty much there, although probably still wobbly. Learn cornering at slow speed, by letting your left knee bend to go right, your right knee to go left. During this you will get it wrong, the wheel will fall, just step off it. This is why I am glad we learnt on grass - the learning takes a bit longer because it is a bit bumpy but it minimized damage to the wheel, and of course if we did trip when falling off it avoided scratches to us. We didn't, but it was reassuring nonetheless.

We didn't use 'training straps', 'training stabiliser wheels' or anything else. Just get on the wheel and go for it is my advice. We did do the thing right at the beginning where you have one foot on the wheel and turn it a little forwards and backwards, in front and behind you, more and more until you can do 90 deg, then 180 degree, then (if you have a slippery enough surface) you can go round and round, pivoting on your ground foot. Do it with both feet. It really helps you get used to the wheel and how it behaves. Another thing we did at the beginning was get mounted then held a worktop, and just moved the wheel back and forward under you like a pendulum, just 30cm or so but it really helps with getting used to how much pressure is needed on the footplates to make the wheel move. you will be amazed how little it takes.

Any questions just ask on here, I am new and will always try to help but most of the guys here have been around the block and back again, racking up 1000's of miles. Everyone is really friendly and helpful :)

Keep us posted with your progress. Good luck!

Thanks, luckily there is a park very close to me I can practise on the grass or the tarmac paths until I get the hang of things. Initially I wanted one to use as a convenient mode of transport to use for the odd few miles around the village I live in but the more I look one youtube the more I fancy exploring the countryside. I'm in easy travel distance of the Yorkshire Dales, the Lake District and the Peak district so hopefully during the summer I'll be confident enough to do a bit of exploring :-)

Archived