King Song 14B Impressions

EUCrider

Hello. I'm interested to purchase a 14B swappable battery King Song but am worried that it will be under-powered for normal commuting purposes. I prefer this model because of the reduced weight to carry on subway and ability to lock my KS in the street and simply remove the battery to prevent anyone from turning it on. Can anyone share their experiences with it?

A lot depends on your weight and the terrain but with the small battery there will be a lack of sustained power however if you ride at a steady pace the power should be there for short bursts when needed to keep you balanced over rough ground.

The idea is great, especially for airlines, but it would be much better if there was a slot on both sides so you can put two batteries in at the same time.

Also keep in mind that you want to prevent stealing the wheel by removing the battery so noone can ride away on it. I would think that the size/ weight if the unicycle and the riding speed lend itself to being stolen by simply carrying it away rather than riding it. Removing the battery will not help.  Like Gimlet said, this is great for air travel and also so that can have a light portable unit when traveling short distance but with an ability to carry more batteries with you when you need ti travel farther

Hi fellas. Agreed in both respects. In my case, I would plan to lock up the wheel with a u-lock through the handle and want to remove the battery so that no one could power it up. I wish these devices had ignition type kill switches or could be operationally locked up via bluetooth like some bike locks I've seen. Personally I would prefer as much battery capacity as possible but am limited by the utility of locking up the wheel. I am considering buying spare cartridges though that's just more battery to carry around. Regarding my weight, I'm 80kgs so I think it's not too heavy and not too light for this model.

It would be much better if there was a slot on both sides so you can put two batteries in at the same time.

Just a guess, but I think they want to steer away from this, just so no-one will go and put batteries with different charges (ie. one almost empty, one full) at the same time, as the batteries in parallel will try to "level" each other out and, the sudden high current "rush" between the packs can burn components (probably from the BMSs) and/or damage the cells.

You could probably prevent that from happening with the use of diodes to prevent the reverse flow of power.

I've understood that this will also prevent regenerative braking (I was researching into this to resolve my current overcharge protection-problem), which causes a problem: If the regenerative power cannot flow into the battery packs, there's no circuit (no connection)... the motor will not then brake, but turn freely (I try to avoid using the term "free-wheel", as that has its own distinctive meaning in motor control circuits), ie. "coast" during the regenerative-phase of the cycle. Another problem is that when the current is flowing in the "right" direction through the diodes (ie. to the motor), they can burn during the very high power spikes, thus cutting off (there seem to be large "power diodes" available, that may require separate cooling). Probably the bigger problem is the motor drive control going haywire and the braking power dropping dramatically?

Could be wrong though.

• 3 weeks later...

If i'm mostly going to be using it for getting around a downtown area (likely 3 miles max one-way), do you guys think I'll regret buying the 174WH + extra battery rather than the larger battery models? Kingsong already announced they would be releasing a 150wh battery that's airplane-compatible, so that would be a nice option to have.

I don't really anticipate doing longer (5+ mile) treks very often, because I'll usually take a car in those cases, but i'm more concerned with performance issues related to a battery that small. Thoughts?

Archived