Squeaking noise

panda

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64569403/New Weird Noise 1.m4a

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64569403/New Weird Noise 2.m4a

So my wheel started making this noise yesterday, it goes away sometimes but then comes back. I've checked that the valve is not hitting or scrapping the casing, and that there are no visible foreign entities.

I would like to add that this only happens when I am on it ~58kg.

Any ideas?

Of course there are wheel bearings, if not the wheel wouldn't turn unless it was switched on.

The much hyped magnetic levitation may possibly take some weight off the bearing but I very much doubt that it has a large effect.

Are you sure it's not your tyre valve rubbing the inside of the shell?

It's difficult to visualise anything else that can squeak as there shouldn't be anything other than the bearings that have any friction areas, everything else should have clearance and not actually make contact or touch anything.

If its the IPS 132 then you should check the torque on the wheel nuts. They are known to be torque critical and do have a habit of loosening off. They should be torqued up to 85NM which is pretty tight and I took mine off first and refitted them using Locktite thread locker to stop them from loosening off again.

As for the bearings - and there probaly are bearings. You would want to use a light grease instead of oil which doesn't Work with heavily loaded bearings unless they're bathed permanently in it, since it will dry out/get centrifuged out.

Try some of the grease used for bicycle bearings, if You're following that route. They're probably encapsulated.

This really sounds more like the wheel rubbing against the case at one small point. Look for any little stuff trapped inside the case, like a stick. Try changing the tire pressure (up or down) and see if it goes away. If that doesn't help, try reseating the tire bead.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived