Z10 Charging best practices

Emmanuel Schalit

I was wondering if there were best practices in terms of recharging the Z10

• I doing mostly short rides (less than 10k) should I wait until the battery is below a certain level before recharging or can I recharge every time I use the Z10 to always keep the battery close to 100%?
  • When I recharge should I always wait to get to the green LED at 100% or should I am for a 95% charge to preserve the battery?
  • Do these batteries exhibit any kind of "memory" effect ?

Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Emmanuel Schalit said:

I was wondering if there were best practices in terms of recharging the Z10

• I doing mostly short rides (less than 10k) should I wait until the battery is below a certain level before recharging or can I recharge every time I use the Z10 to always keep the battery close to 100%?

Most fun and safety is riding the EUC fully charged.

Also take care for the self "discharge" - there were reports of Z10s loosing 10 4% (one even 60%) in about a week (1)! There seems to be some circuitry up and running all the time!

... and full discharge means permanent dead for li ions ...

• When I recharge should I always wait to get to the green LED at 100% or should I am for a 95% charge to preserve the battery?

One gets longer life if not charging to 100%. And charging the last ~10% takes the most time...

... you most probably then can still finish your 10km ride with more then 50% battery charge?

• Do these batteries exhibit any kind of "memory" effect ?

No.

But there are recent studies of some minimal memory effect ?by (?slow?) Charging of some (?special?) li ion chemistries? - but that's just first studies (and by now) without any practical effect/guidelines for us.

The only real sustainable thing with li ions are that they remember to stay dead once the were discharged to low (~2.5V per cell) and that the decrease slowly in capacity the longer they are in fully/high charged condition. Also they should not be stored at high temperatures fully charged.

Best for longer storage should be something around 50% (?afair something around 3.7V per cell?) at below 30°C. But again - i don't know if this elevated discharge with Z10s were solitary cases or it's normal behaviour, and i don't know the "users discipline and reliability" to check/recharge and prevent full discharge while storage to recommend anything below 80-100% for this wheel 😁

Thanks in advance.

With 500 (full) charge cycles, ~1000Wh and ~ 17 Wh per km one has about 30 thousand km to ride. And then the capacity is just decreased to ~80-90%. 

This would take 8 years driving 10 km each day...

So just maximize fun and safety by riding your wheel fully charged! (If its easy to organize and you really really want to optimize and it does not keep you from spontaneous rides, charge it before the ride). Don't store your wheel in a car/garage/etc in sunshine/hot conditions.

And check the battery usage of your Z10 while powered off! .. or you could have the chance of finding a dead Z10 after the winter break/some longer holidays...

(1) 

Archived