1st Wheel that doubles as power bank?

Piotr Krawczuk

Hi there guys! First post here. 

I'd like to ask for your help with choosing my first wheel. I have no previous experience but I think I'd like to jump all the way in- same with snowboarding even before starting it, I just knew i'm going to love it- just didn't know how much ;).  I do have rather unusual requirement, let me explain.. I'm living full time in Van and would like my EUC to double act as power bank that I could bring power from work for instance ;) I've got decent lithium 160Ah battery in my van and charge it from solars and vehicle engine but I think it would be handy to "bring some power from work" when I don't drive around and there is no much gain form solars in winter. Hence I'm after a wheel that has either some sort of serious power output port or you can easily tap into battery. Other then that do you think it's a batter idea to get second hand one to start - as there might be some crashing/dropping or should I get for brand new with warranty and support? 

Thanks!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 2:39 AM, Piotr Krawczuk said:

Hi there guys! First post here. 

I'd like to ask for your help with choosing my first wheel. I have no previous experience but I think I'd like to jump all the way in- same with snowboarding even before starting it, I just knew i'm going to love it- just didn't know how much ;).  I do have rather unusual requirement, let me explain.. I'm living full time in Van and would like my EUC to double act as power bank that I could bring power from work for instance ;) I've got decent lithium 160Ah battery in my van and charge it from solars and vehicle engine but I think it would be handy to "bring some power from work" when I don't drive around and there is no much gain form solars in winter. Hence I'm after a wheel that has either some sort of serious power output port or you can easily tap into battery. Other then that do you think it's a batter idea to get second hand one to start - as there might be some crashing/dropping or should I get for brand new with warranty and support? 

Thanks!

Peter

Welcome!

I've not heard of any EUC that doubles as "serious" power bank. Afair some "earlier" models had ?5V? USB ports.

My KS16 wheel covers for example are imo not designed to "survive" daily opening. The ninebot one e+ was easy to access and also some mods for "quick opening" existed. I have no idea in regard to GW, Inmotion or the other KS.

Early Gotways had no reverse voltage protection diode for the charging port and so this port could be reused as output port? But just limited - the BMS protection of the charging side is not really designed for power discharging. Don't know how it is with the newer models.

If you're skilful and experienced a power output port should be no real problem.

You should also put some thoughts on the converters for charging and using the pack - there exists wheels with packs from ~60 to ~100V. I wouldn't want to be awakened from a burning li ion pack in a van... (If one hopefully wakes up...)

For used wheels you can take a look at the private sales section - maybe you have good luck and find something nice. Used vs new is imho your personal decision? Your ?worth/values?,expectations, possibilities and whats available on the second hand market...

With new and used wheels one can have good or bad luck.

Hi.

Choose a EUC for how good a EUC it is, not how good a battery bank it is. Since you have the right attitude of just knowing EUCs are awesome:thumbup:, get one you want to ride.

If you really absolutely need to use the wheel as a battery bank, several wheels have USB ports, but usually they are weak. But the KS18L/18XL has 2 USB ports so that would be a good compromise (no modifications necessary) because it's also a great wheel.

Gotway wheels often have easily accessible cables for diy, you could get one where the battery plug is easily accessible, cut a little hole with a door in the side panel, and manually disconnect the battery from the wheel electronics and plug it into some diy system you built each time. You'd only have to open the door (and cut one side panel in the modding process).

But you still have a 84V battery then (but at least nice current, 10A would easily work, so serious wattage possible), and honestly, there's better ways to treat the expensive 18650 cell batteries in an electric unicycle than using them as a power bank. Also, each time you reconnect the battery plug, there's the chance of a spark destroying your board and (worst case) even the expensive batteries. Sure you can use an anti-spark plug, but... it gets complicated and I would really only recommend doing this if you have serious electrical skils and know for sure what is safe and what isn't in regards to all the diy stuff you would build.

I think there has to be a better option (safer, cheaper, ...). Here's a picture. I still can't with good conscience recommend doing this. The inside of my Gotway ACM with the battery connector:

1.jpg

On 10/30/2018 at 2:39 AM, Piotr Krawczuk said:

Other then that do you think it's a batter idea to get second hand one to start - as there might be some crashing/dropping or should I get for brand new with warranty and support? 

Second hand EUCs will often allow you to get a great wheel for cheap. EUCs are very simple and either work or don't. So if a EUC a) works and b) has no bad crash damage that might indicate possibly bent metal parts, there's little that can go wrong, except maybe for an old/unused battery (but that's usually no problem with current models that aren't old and you can ask the seller about this anyways).

Archived