New rider, Z10 first impressions

Steef Klonoa

I have been riding the Z10 for about 2 days now, only went about 10 miles on it so far. Never tried riding a wheel before but I have skateboarded a little bit in the past and I have very good balance. My backyard is very small, maybe 10 yards at its longest and in an L shape. The ground is uneven, and the pavement in the driveway is uneven as well. It took me about an hour and a couple scratches before I was able to get the wheel going on the road. Haven't really fallen yet, just stepped off when needed. I've been able to go in the streets(where a bicycle would go) and along the sidewalks with zero issues at a speed between about 5-17mph.

Used it to commute to work today too. Before I got on the train some guy asked me "Hey what is that?" I told him "it's a wheel". He goes "Well what does it go to is it a part of something?" I told him I rode it there, thought it was pretty funny though. Overall feedback has been really positive so far and I am having a ton of fun riding it around.

Here's a couple issues you might run into with it:

A good number of people do think it looks dangerous and the first thing most people ask is how much I spent on it.

As Marty and others have said before, the power button on the Z10 is just too sensitive. I accidentally turned it on while I was on the train walking through the aisle and it started spinning earlier today, luckily I was able to shut it off quick.

The manual is written entirely in chinese, so if you don't know chinese you are out of luck as far as that goes. Fortunately we have this great forum where we can all bounce questions off each other!

Foot Cramps! It may just be my technique as I am still very beginner, but I'm going to have to buy some gel inserts for my shoes before I can figure that out.

Speed wobbles. I'm still figuring out how to get rid of the speed wobbles when I go straight. If you are new at this be very careful turning at high speeds. I was moving along at a good clip, in a steady straight line earlier and made a turn into a parking lot and all of a sudden the wobbles were there. If I had been going faster I might have been tossed off.

Bluetooth: For some reason my wheel is requesting a pin password in order to play music from it. I looked through the chinese manual and from what I can see the password is not in there!

Aside from that, this has been incredibly fun and I look forward to getting out there on the zed tomorrow.

Nice little first impreasions... To manage the wobbles you just need more practise, with more practise there are much less wobbles and the few you can manage. After more practise i can say you dont have to get slower to manage the wobble, mostly its just a little movement or acelerate more (soft).

You can avoid wobbles with the "right" tire pressure too.

@MaiKi Thanks! Speed wobbles are no problem any more. Had my first real fall the other day, before then I had always been able to just step off at low speeds when crashing. There was a pile of leaves that had a curb under it. Even though I was going fast and the curb wasn't that huge, I didn't see it so there was no way to react and I just flew off the wheel like superman. I wear knee pads, wrist guards, and a helmet when I ride so it was no issue, I just got right back up. I'll be careful around leaves from now on though.

Bluetooth was an easy fix, covered that in Marty's thread about his Z10 triumphs and tribulations.

Foot cramps are still there, but I have a higher tolerance now before I feel like I need to take a break. I've been commuting to work and using the geotracker app. It's almost 12 miles and takes a solid hour to get there, I'm in mostly suburbs and have to go downtown in a few parts so I keep it slow there so I won't run into anyone walking. During the whole trip I take two breaks, usually less than 5 minutes each.

Speedyfeet mentioned this wheel has a split leg riding style on the turns, it really does. I wasn't doing it before and that's why I was getting the wobbles. If you're taking a left turn you literally have to plant your left foot, right foot, and lean left but the wheel stays straight. So what ends up happening is your right leg is pressed firmly into the wheel housing while your left leg is completely separated from the wheel housing and it feels weird, but i'm sure with practice it will become much easier.

33 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Speedyfeet mentioned this wheel has a split leg riding style on the turns, it really does. I wasn't doing it before and that's why I was getting the wobbles. If you're taking a left turn you literally have to plant your left foot, right foot, and lean left but the wheel stays straight. So what ends up happening is your right leg is pressed firmly into the wheel housing while your left leg is completely separated from the wheel housing and it feels weird, but i'm sure with practice it will become much easier.

I feel like riding a motorcycle when I ride the Z10.  It is totally different than when I ride my Glide 3.

Archived