Need help selecting my next wheel

buggydanny

Hello

I have been riding a few months and have really enjoying this hobby/sport.  Learning curve has not been to bad, and having a lot of fun doing it.

I currently have a 14" Ninebot Segway S1 with 150 miles on it. I feel comfortable using it on suburban streets and on sidewalk with moderate and heavy pedestrian/bike traffic. It has served me well and taught me how to ride, but feel it is limiting me now.  Constantly hit the 20 km/hr and can't keep up with bicycles.  The rage is quite limiting too. I'm heaver at 200 lbs and and get 10-12 miles out of a charge.  I took it on vacation last week and me with 20-25 lbs of gear would make it to the beach 5.5 miles away, but would barely make it back (limping the last mile).  It time for me to move into an intermediate wheel.

I have 2 goals. One is to have a fun wheel to ride around town. The other, once I get more proficient and feel comfortable in the city, is to have a "last mile" fair weather commuter. With 2-7 mile suburban leg to either the train or subway and a 1/2-2 mile urban leg.  Gotway build quality and fragility are scaring me away from them. Still think I will crash one in a while. Leaves me with Kingsong and Immotion.  I am leaning towards Kinsong thinking its built better.  Don't know if I should stay with a 14" or go bigger. I'm leaning towards a KS14S for it's agility and smaller size.  I'm thinking the 30 km/h will be fast enough for me, but would like some input on that.  Is it a wise choice for someone 200 lbs with 20 lbs or so of gear?  Would a KS16S be a better fit?  should I even consider an 18" wheel?

Please share your thoughts, opinions and pro/cons of my options.

Thanks

Dan

18 minutes ago, buggydanny said:

I'm thinking the 30 km/h will be fast enough for me, but would like some input on that.

You know how 20km/h got too slow in the end? With 30, the same can happen. 35 or 40 top speed is much better.

19 minutes ago, buggydanny said:

Is it a wise choice for someone 200 lbs with 20 lbs or so of gear?  Would a KS16S be a better fit?  should I even consider an 18" wheel?

You can get anything from 14 to 18 inches, but I'd recommend a 16 incher for this weight. Probably 16 is best, 18 might be a bit too big if you want a light commuting tool. 16S or a V10(F) seem perfect. Tesla isn't bad either. It also a question which one you'd like and what the prices are.

15 hours ago, buggydanny said:

Gotway build quality and fragility are scaring me away from them. Still think I will crash one in a while

I have the same opinion on that one...

I am leaning towards Kinsong thinking its built better

I had both and the KS is definitely a fine build, but I have to point out that I think inmotion is maybe even doing a better job then KS.. the on off switches.. a better app..

I'm leaning towards a KS14S for it's agility and smaller size.  I'm thinking the 30 km/h will be fast enough for me, but would like some input on that.  Is it a wise choice for someone 200 lbs with 20 lbs or so of gear?  Would a KS16S be a better fit?  should I even consider an 18" wheel?

I went to the same phase, started of with the KS16s which is an awesome wheel, very agile, acceleration very nice.. but now I ride the V10f and this is totally different ride, more stable, smooth, you can easily drive it faster, which I wasn't planning to do ever in the first place.. but it feels so comfortable.. that it rides like a bigger wheel 18 inch , some even say it's a 17 inch.. the slimmer design from the bigger wheels KS18L V10f is for me also much nicer, the fact that the wheel is setting higher up to your calfs is just a different feel to it.

And last but not least the higher pedals.. that really makes a difference..

Archived