Firmware

jayjay23

@jayjay23 the osciloscope is cheap chinese like the power supply, the Jtag Stlink v2, the hot air station, the dev board, etc -- like the generic electric unicycle  ;-) :-)

I believe you can buy it now in Ebay for about 250€.

@Restless do you have any news of the boards? Thanks.

1 minute ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@jayjay23 the osciloscope is cheap chinese like the power supply, the Jtag Stlink v2, the hot air station, the dev board, etc -- like the generic electric unicycle  ;-) :-)

I believe you can buy it now in Ebay for about 250€.

@Restless do you have any news of the boards? Thanks.

Do you have a Modell number for the power supply? 

Sry no news for the board. Last status i got is that they are shipped. Ali offers buyers protection so if we dont Get the boards we'll Get the money back ;) ill keep you guys updated as soon as i have more Informations. Sry about that :/

Today I did about 5kms with my generic. I can easily go up to max speed and the pedals start to tilt before the buzzer. I don't like the pedal tilt.

The battery went down quickly, I saw the LEDs goind down over the 5kms. I was riding slow when the unicycle did beep, sent me backward and finally shuttedoff the wheel. It seems a safe procedure -- an idea to implement on this firmware.

@jayjay23 my osci saves screenshots to a usb pen flash.

16 hours ago, Restless said:

Do you have a Modell number for the power supply? 

Thought not the chepaest price I choose this one: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00DVID50U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
and two pairs of those: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B007R30ZT4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

One is now soldered with a XT60 connector (thought they are quite tight and thus difficult to plug and especially unplug).

Hey guys :)

Today i recived the boards!

Actually they look pretty good.

Its an STM32 F103C8T6 onboard.

So now there is just one problem .... i cant see an JTAG neither SWD label somewhere :(

the JN4 looks like it could probably be a connection, since i could trace 2 of the pins directly to the ARM.

Anyways, i'm sure well get along with these boards.

Kai

IMG_20151128_093826.jpg

IMG_20151128_094039.jpg

IMG_20151128_094106.jpg

We'll see. There's always a possibility to connect. The ARM has the Pins we look for. Either we follow the routing on the PCB or we solder directly.

Was your calculation/ estimation on shipping costs right or do you need some more money?

Edited by OliverH

Great!!

I can identify all the components, they are on the same position as on my board but mine have SWD pins on another place. That 4 pins are for sure the SWD.

That board seems to be the "Generic A type" - see here pictures:

https://github.com/generic-electric-unicycle/documentation/blob/master/images/controller/generic_a/img_1009861.jpg

So happy that I may have my boards next week :-) -- thanks!!

My guess is as follows, from the backside you can definitely see, GND and Vref and two going under the chip:

connector_markup.jpg.dde17f297498a547124

Just need to find out which is clock and which is IO (measuring from connector to proper STM pins should give the answer), for me this means building an adapter, as it's different from my current board connector.

Edited by jayjay23

@Restless, is possible for you to measure/follow the pins from the STM32F103 to the SWD conector so we can prepared any needed adapater? - thanks.

3 minutes ago, jayjay23 said:

Do I see it right that the plugs are soldered? As they don't seem to have the male plastic part around it. I've seen at least one wheel were the plugs were indeed directly soldered onto a board :-)

Seems to me that the board have conectors but they also sent some kind of extension cable with different connectors in the end.

So now we have a code to turn on or off the LEDs for battery charge indication. What do you guys think should be next code/step??

I verified that my controller have the same connectors as the connectors on new boards. In fact, the same connector for the hall sensors are used on electric bicycles. The same for the connectors to motor phases.

On my board, the SWD pins labels are: GND, SWD, CLK, 3V3. I hope is the same for the new boards.

controller-01.thumb.jpg.f1deb4025f3c95db

I soldered the pins of SWD to my unicycle board and tried to read the firmware (starting at flash address and ending at 64k) using OpenOCD but I got a lot of undefined instructions so I guess the code is protected - example:

104:    f000d101             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf000d101
     108:    f2aff851     vrshrn.i64    d15, <illegal reg q0.5>, #17
     10c:    e8ba0e09     ldm    sl!, {r0, r3, r9, sl, fp}
     110:    f013000f             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf013000f
     114:    bf180f01     svclt    0x00180f01
     118:    f0431afb             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf0431afb
     11c:    47180301     ldrmi    r0, [r8, -r1, lsl #6]
     120:    00006640     andeq    r6, r0, r0, asr #12
     124:    00006660     andeq    r6, r0, r0, ror #12
     128:    f04f440a             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf04f440a
     12c:    f8100c00             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf8100c00
     130:    f0133b01             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf0133b01
     134:    bf080407     svclt    0x00080407
     138:    4b01f810     blmi    0x7e180
     13c:    bf08111d     svclt    0x0008111d
     140:    5b01f810     blpl    0x7e188
     144:    d0051e64     andle    r1, r5, r4, ror #28
     148:    6b01f810     blvs    0x7e190
     14c:    f8011e64             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf8011e64
     150:    d1f96b01     mvnsle    r6, r1, lsl #22
     154:    0f08f013     svceq    0x0008f013
     158:    f810bf1e             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf810bf1e
     15c:    1cad4b01     fstmiaxne    sp!, {d4-d3}    ;@ Deprecated
     160:    d1091b0c     tstle    r9, ip, lsl #22
     164:    bf581e6d     svclt    0x00581e6d
     168:    cb01f801     blgt    0x7e174
     16c:    e005d5fa     strd    sp, [r5], -sl
     170:    6b01f814     blvs    0x7e1c8
     174:    6b01f801     blvs    0x7e180
     178:    d5f91e6d     ldrble    r1, [r9, #3693]!    ; 0xe6d
     17c:    d3d64291     bicsle    r4, r6, #268435465    ; 0x10000009
     180:    00004770     andeq    r4, r0, r0, ror r7
     184:    24002300     strcs    r2, [r0], #-768    ; 0xfffffd00
     188:    26002500     strcs    r2, [r0], -r0, lsl #10
     18c:    bf283a10     svclt    0x00283a10
     190:    d8fbc178     ldmle    fp!, {r3, r4, r5, r6, r8, lr, pc}^
     194:    bf280752     svclt    0x00280752
     198:    bf48c130     svclt    0x0048c130
     19c:    4770600b     ldrbmi    r6, [r0, -fp]!
     1a0:    f005b51f             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf005b51f
     1a4:    bd1ffd62     ldclt    13, cr15, [pc, #-392]    ; 0x24
     1a8:    bd10b510     cfldr32lt    mvfx11, [r0, #-64]    ; 0xffffffc0
     1ac:    fa8cf004     blx    0xfe33c1c4
     1b0:    f7ff4611             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf7ff4611
     1b4:    f001fff5             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf001fff5
     1b8:    f004f8ad             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf004f8ad
     1bc:    b403faaa     strlt    pc, [r3], #-2730    ; 0xfffff556
     1c0:    fff2f7ff             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xfff2f7ff
     1c4:    f004bc03             ; <UNDEFINED> instruction: 0xf004bc03
     1c8:    0000faaf     andeq    pc, r0, pc, lsr #21

firmware_ori-01.bin

firmware_ori-02.bin

4 hours ago, jayjay23 said:

My guess is as follows, from the backside you can definitely see, GND and Vref and two going under the chip:

connector_markup.jpg.dde17f297498a547124

Just need to find out which is clock and which is IO (measuring from connector to proper STM pins should give the answer), for me this means building an adapter, as it's different from my current board connector.

3 hours ago, electric_vehicle_lover said:

@Restless, is possible for you to measure/follow the pins from the STM32F103 to the SWD conector so we can prepared any needed adapater? - thanks.

Seems to me that the board have conectors but they also sent some kind of extension cable with different connectors in the end.

So now we have a code to turn on or off the LEDs for battery charge indication. What do you guys think should be next code/step??

4 hours ago, jayjay23 said:

Do I see it right that the plugs are soldered? As they don't seem to have the male plastic part around it. I've seen at least one wheel were the plugs were indeed directly soldered onto a board :-)

Sry guys i had not enough time this weekend to check out wich pin is CLCK / SWD :/ I'll try to find some time tmrw. (i guess the parcels should arrive tmrw. or tuesday at the german adresses, the one to Portugal probably takes a couple more days :P

Yes the plugs are soldered directly to the board ... took me 3 minutes to figure that out :D i think thats pretty stupid. at least they come with ~5cm wires, which makes it nice as a dev env.

Overall i have to admit that these boards look pretty well made for that price. I have seen worse things from chinese direct sellers.

I'm just waiting for my ST-Link adapter (bought a chinese clone from banggood, Link hope it works, if not ill buy a original one)

and my 2* 30V 5A power supply (a friend of mine (he is an elec. engineer) recommended this one: Link)

And then i'm ready to code. As soon as we get the LED's working i would say we should decide between run the motor or read the sensors, i would say the sensors should be our next POI. The motor should be pretty easy.

6 hours ago, Restless said:

Sry guys i had not enough time this weekend to check out wich pin is CLCK / SWD :/ I'll try to find some time tmrw. (i guess the parcels should arrive tmrw. or tuesday at the german adresses, the one to Portugal probably takes a couple more days :P

Yes the plugs are soldered directly to the board ... took me 3 minutes to figure that out :D i think thats pretty stupid. at least they come with ~5cm wires, which makes it nice as a dev env.

Overall i have to admit that these boards look pretty well made for that price. I have seen worse things from chinese direct sellers.

I'm just waiting for my ST-Link adapter (bought a chinese clone from banggood, Link hope it works, if not ill buy a original one)

and my 2* 30V 5A power supply (a friend of mine (he is an elec. engineer) recommended this one: Link)

And then i'm ready to code. As soon as we get the LED's working i would say we should decide between run the motor or read the sensors, i would say the sensors should be our next POI. The motor should be pretty easy.

Just ordered the OpenOCD Controller and need to buy the power supply. Need to pick up the parcels at the parcel station over the border this week. Looking forward to have some fun.

On 28. November 2015 um 10:06:43, Restless said:

Hey guys :)

Today i recived the boards!

Actually they look pretty good.

IMG_20151128_094039.jpg

Thats maybe a little bit offtopic, but it looks like there is quite some spacing between some mosfets and the heatsink? If so, this could have quite some negative impact on thermal conductivity and lead to nasty overheating/destroyed mosfets?

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

Thats maybe a little bit offtopic, but it looks like there is quite some spacing between some mosfets and the heatsink? If so, this could have quite some negative impact on thermal conductivity and lead to nasty overheating/destroyed mosfets?

The mosfets have some (let's call it "paper") between the heatsink to avoid short circuit. It should work, since i heard a lot of EUC use this "cheap" method ;)

Something we could improve, I'll mark that somewhere in the git repo. Maybe in a new one for Hardware-Dev, we probably need one later anyway.

Ok, the boards work if you don't switch them on before powering them up! First connect power and power up the power supply, then connect the switch.

I tried with my motor and it works (with original firmware), but it's horribly difficult to balance them, the SP connector is for calibration, if bridged and powered on, the wheel spins in one direction  then the other (with very moderate speed) then beeps, after that the board is calibrated, well you may know this behavior from other wheels already.

I soldered the adapter I need, and it works right out of the box. The chips is locked, for all of you to try with openocd, the important command is

init; halt; stm32f1x options_read 0

Unlocking it also works:

init; halt; stm32f1x unlock 0

after which options read shows the correct flash size and so on.

Flashing our current firmware, I plugged a LED directly into the LED plug, just to see something, and it also works, looks now like 1s.

Regarding the further development, personally I would go for reading input, as this should be less dangerous in damaging something, but we could also work on different parts supporting each other and testing. With the motor I think doing a hall only driver should not be complicated, but doing a hall/back EMF switching driver could be more challanging, but we need to keep this in mind to not redevelop/redesign the code, so when you want to start with that, think how the position source can be switched on the fly.

Thanks @jayjay23.

I am ready to make the motor code using the halls. But I need to know how to read the current!! The current sensor is needed to avoid short circuits - the STM32F have a specific function to disable the switching mosfets when the current is over a specified value. 

Since progress is inevitable with both software/firmware AND hardware/board designs, perhaps a generalized function block diagram with block I/O interface V/I/Imp. requirements may be more useful and practical than a detailed schematic of a current specific board. This approach would also allow future hardware/circuit designers to design better function blocks from better/more advanced components that could be assembled like Legos for a better controller board.

I sent to github my first try to make the motor running at 10% PWM.

On main() we have:

motor_set_duty_cycle (100); // 100 --> 10%
  motor_start();

This set the duty cycle and start the motor.

As soon the motor rotates, the signal on the hall sensor will change and the interrupt TIM3_IRQHandler  is called:

void TIM3_IRQHandler(void)
{
  /* "Read" all sensors sequence and execute the BLDC coils commutation */
  commutate ();

Here the commutate() function will switch the right phases of the motor and will make it rotate to next stage (there are only 6 stages that repeats), then another interrupt, etc.

This code I got from my last project and for some reason it uses a clock of 24MHz(??) but our current board uses 8MHZ internal oscillator. The setup of the timers must be revised for our clock.

Also I get this error while linking:

@jayjay23 Can you please try build the code and see if you get the same error?

make all
..linking
arm-none-eabi-ld -v  src/gpio.o src/pwm.o src/motor.o src/main.o src/bldc.o src/hall_sensor.o src/spl/src/stm32f10x_gpio.o src/spl/src/stm32f10x_i2c.o src/spl/src/stm32f10x_dma.o src/spl/src/stm32f10x_rcc.o src/spl/src/stm32f10x_tim.o src/spl/src/misc.o src/spl/CMSIS/system_stm32f10x.o src/spl/CMSIS/core_cm3.o src/startup_stm32f10x_md.o -Tsrc/stm32_flash.ld -Larm-none-eabi-lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/current -nostartfiles -o src/main.elf
GNU ld (2.25-10ubuntu1+5build1) 2.25
src/bldc.o:(.bss+0x0): multiple definition of `GPIO_InitStructure'
src/gpio.o:(.bss+0x0): first defined here
src/pwm.o: In function `update_duty_cycle':
/home/jpinto/generic-electric-unicycle/firmware/src/pwm.c:58: undefined reference to `__aeabi_ui2f'
/home/jpinto/generic-electric-unicycle/firmware/src/pwm.c:58: undefined reference to `__aeabi_fmul'
/home/jpinto/generic-electric-unicycle/firmware/src/pwm.c:58: undefined reference to `__aeabi_f2uiz'
src/motor.o: In function `motor_get_speed':
/home/jpinto/generic-electric-unicycle/firmware/src/motor.c:17: undefined reference to `__aeabi_ui2d'
/home/jpinto/generic-electric-unicycle/firmware/src/motor.c:17: undefined reference to `__aeabi_dmul'
/home/jpinto/generic-electric-unicycle/firmware/src/motor.c:17: undefined reference to `__aeabi_ddiv'
/home/jpinto/generic-electric-unicycle/firmware/src/motor.c:17: undefined reference to `__aeabi_ddiv'
/home/jpinto/generic-electric-unicycle/firmware/src/motor.c:17: undefined reference to `__aeabi_d2uiz'
Makefile:59: recipe for target 'main.elf' failed
make: *** [main.elf] Error 1

@Donald1800 if you think you can help, please tell us how and/or go ahead.

Ok, the code now builds correctly. I needed to include libgcc and the changes were this on Makefile:

From this: LFLAGS  = -Tsrc/stm32_flash.ld -L$(TCPREFIX)lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/current -nostartfiles

To this: LFLAGS  = -Tsrc/stm32_flash.ld -L/usr/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.9.3 -lgcc -nostartfiles

I had also an error on the code. I pushed to github.

Next thing is to have the clock at max speed. I believe that now that processor is running at only 8MHz.