Possible Issue with new Tesla??

Marcglider

Been riding my Tesla and have around 170 miles on it... want to explain an issue I had and see if anyone has some input to help...

The other night I went for a short ride, when I came home, I plugged in the charger (Ewheels quick, set at 3 amps) and it did not turn on, stayed green. I probably did about 5 miles so it could not be fully charged. Rode it the next day maybe 12 miles and when I got home, same thing, stayed green and did not start to charge, I turned the wheel on then off and it started charging... figured everything was ok...

Normally I do not fully charge my wheels (90%-95%) but I was going on a long ride today so I set the charger to 100% 3 amps and left it plugged in all night... when I started my ride this morning, it was reading 90%... I did a 32 mile ride and came home, I thought maybe the charger was set to 90% but it was 100%... I just charged the wheel to full... the voltage on the charger says 84.1V... I turned on the wheel, logged into the Gotway app and it is reading 90% Again... I opened up the wheellog app and it is reading 92% and the voltage is 64.88V... I also charged my KS 16S to 100%, the wheellog reads 100% for that wheel...

Any input would be appreciated... is there some kind of hard reset or something on the GW Tesla?... also It just popped into mind that some of the apps have not been updated to read the higher voltages on the new wheels???  :eff02518bb: :efef2e0fff:

1 hour ago, Marcglider said:

the voltage on the charger says 84.1V... I turned on the wheel, logged into the Gotway app and it is reading 90% Again... I opened up the wheellog app and it is reading 92% and the voltage is 64.88V... I also charged my KS 16S to 100%, the wheellog reads 100% for that wheel...

KS16S is a 67V wheel - you should not charge it with an 84V charger! Or was this just meant as comparison of 100% charging?

Maybe just the 84V charger has a too low max ouput voltage? Can you measure the no load charger output voltage?

The 64.88V reported sound like the tesla reports voltages as the 67V wheels so the 64.88 have to be divided by 67 and multiplied by 84...

1 minute ago, Chriull said:

KS16S is a 67V wheel - you should not charge it with an 84V charger! Or was this just meant as comparison of 100% charging?

Maybe just the 84V charger has a too low max ouput voltage? Can you measure the no load charger output voltage?

The 64.88V reported sound like the tesla reports voltages as the 67V wheels so the 64.88 have to be divided by 67 and multiplied by 84...

I have separate chargers for each wheel... The main issue is the GW quick charger is reading the correct voltage 84.1 fully charged, and the GW app is reading 90% charged like it is not fully charged... the wheel log as well is not reading 100% on the Tesla, but does show 100% for my 16S

2 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

The main issue is the GW quick charger is reading the correct voltage 84.1 fully charged, and the GW app is reading 90% charged 

Then either the charger or the wheel shows a wrong voltage (the apps just show the voltage reported from the wheel and calculate the charge % from this voltage)

11 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

UPDATE... here are some pics of the situation... I took the battery voltage directly at the battery and it says 81.5 volts, the charger shows 84.3, the GW app shows 90%... WTF??? 

Any Info????

90% could correspond to the 81.5V. what says your voltmeter to the charger output?

I'm not sure what is going on... I checked the voltage at the pins of the charger and it is 84.0v... the green light shows full charge, but both batteries are 81.5v... crazy, don't know what to think at this point...

3 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

I'm not sure what is going on... I checked the voltage at the pins of the charger and it is 84.0v... the green light shows full charge, but both batteries are 81.5v... crazy, don't know what to think at this point...

There is(should be) some charge protection circuitry in the bms which could be off and "steal" the 3.5V?

The cells could be badly balanced, so that one cell with ~4.25V triggers the bms to stop the charging while other cells are still below?

Just two guesses. You could try to get in contact with your reseller - you "just" have 170 miles till now...

If you verified using a voltmeter that your charger is outputting 84v but your battery pack is not reaching that voltage, the BMS might be faulty. 

Try connecting just one battery and see if that pack will fully charge, do the same with the other pack. One will probably not fully charge to 84v. 

I just tried that, each one all 3 leads, then hooked up the charger and turned it on, the voltage was still 84.2 on the charger for both and did not turn on, showed full charge

and I checked the voltage at each battery again, they both are 81.5, identical

Perhaps one of the wires/connections from your charging port to the battery is loose or have intermittent connection. 

There is a direct connection from the charging port to one of the black connectors for the battery. You can do a continuity test from the charging port to one of the black connectors that connects to the battery. 

Remove and disconnect all the batteries before doing the test. 

Found the Problem... the red wire on the 2 pin black connector was not pushed in all the way into the connector.... THANKS... I hate having these problems, it is Great to have this Forum as a resource to help when needed... I appreciate the Help... :thumbup:

Archived