Wig

23 hours ago, Flying W said:

My dad is 70, he rides a 16s with me at least once a week. He only wears wrist guards and had some falls going 20mph. Most of the time it's a bump he didn't see that sends him off the wheel.

He has exercised for a few hours 6 days a week since he was 16yrs old though. He rolls really well when falls and so far has not broken any bones.

He's not on any medication, but it still takes longer for him to stop bleeding when he gets cheese graded. 

When he gets a faster wheel he has agreed to wear more gear, but he's pretty stubborn. 

It took about 2 weeks for him to be able to start and stop unassisted and now he has aprox 3k miles under him. 

He rides on road most of the time but in the begining off road boosted his skills very quickly and made pavement riding easy by comparison. 

I'd recommend leaving on a grass field. This saves you and the EUC from falling on hard ground and it's more difficult than smooth tarmac so when you do make the switch riding is easy. 

Helmet!!!!!!!

On 9/7/2021 at 10:28 AM, GothamMike said:

Helmet!!!!!!!

Even after Gary Busey scrambled his brain my dad didn't wear one on a motorcycle unless he was canyon carving or until it was a law. 

20mph on a 16s isn't anywhere near his safety alarm threshold. 

I will keep bugging him though!

Edited by Flying W

On 7/15/2018 at 11:56 AM, Wig said:

Hey Everyone,

I'm interested in purchasing and learning to ride a ECU. I'm 66 years old. I would say my overall fitness level and coordination are above average for my age. I guess my question is "Am I nuts?" Your insights would be appreciated.

I am 72 ang bought my first wheel (Inmotion V10F) in March. Took me about a week to learn and feel confident riding it on bike trails and in my quite neighborhood streets. Now I often ride in Washington DC downtown and occasionally in New York city. So far the only time I fell  was when learning to ride backwards. I usually wear wrist guards and knee pads but no helmet. So just being 66 by itself has no bearing on your ability to learn riding and to enjoy EUC.  

Best of luck!!!!

Nestor.     

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my ex.n. 64 in feb. This thread is a little old, but thats ok. 

I got out on my euc for the first real time tonight. Have watched many many yt vids. Riding in an old tennis court area with 5 courts in 1 fence. 

Hung onto the fence for 3-4 times around. Then let go and rode it. Can't start or stop without dropping it, but the riding was awesome. 

• Like 3