Wig

Hey Marty, 

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely wearing protective gear, I will probably shed some as I get more proficient but will probably always wear a helmet and wrist guards. I still snowboard and wear those 2 items.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wig said:

I'm interested in purchasing and learning to ride a ECU. I'm 66 years old. I would say my overall fitness level and coordination are above average for my age. I guess my question is "Am I nuts?" Your insights would be appreciated.

Like @Marty Backe, above I really feel that age is absolutely no barrier indeed if, like me, your knees are what is showing your age an EUC can really help your mobility and does give more of a core workout than you might think. The average age on this forum seems to be over 40.

Of course, I cannot talk with too much authority as I’m a mere stripling a whole 4 years younger than you.?

What I would also echo Marty on is that I did learn the hard way just how much slower I heal now than when I was younger. I braked too hard with a full battery on my first generation wheel and went flying off when the full battery couldn’t handle the braking. The result was two sprained wrists that took absolute months to heal (and you REALLY find out who your friends are when you cannot use either hand!) ever since then I always make sure I wear wrist guards.

Finally, there is certainly a suggestion that older people do not learn as quickly as the young, I’m not sure that I personally have seen any proof of this? What I can say with some confidence is that if you have got proficient at any balancing sport, even if it was 40 years ago, for example: skiing, surfing or windsurfing, skates or skateboards, etc, etc, then those skills will quickly come back and it will probably take you hours or days to get to the point where you can control it well enough to go somewhere on it. If you haven’t surfed anything more active than a sofa (sounds unlikely from what you have said)  but you are determined then it might take a few weeks.

Edited by Keith
  • Like 2

Just now, Wig said:

Hey Marty, 

Thanks for the reply. I am definitely wearing protective gear, I will probably shed some as I get more proficient but will probably always wear a helmet and wrist guards. I still snowboard and wear those 2 items.

i’m 64. i half assed tried snowboarding(not a skier either) about 5 years ago. waay too dangerous for me. this is waay safer. i set this up and would spend a few minutes a day going back and forth wearing leather gloves between the boards until i got where i could go the fifteen feet without touching the boards. 

2F1C4672-62FA-4CC1-99D8-7F1485DF4936.jpeg.23fe76704f526cbe8a1da34c41176f17.jpeg

• Like 2

Novazeus,

That's helpful. I watched a YouTube video and they suggested a high fence, I think your solution is better and I can set that up in my backyard.

Thanks

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wig said:

Novazeus,

That's helpful. I watched a YouTube video and they suggested a high fence, I think your solution is better and I can set that up in my backyard.

Thanks

living solitary on the ranch, i couldn’t risk a twisted ankle injury or any injury with all these animals depending on me, so thankfully with age comes a little patience. 

learning speed isn’t a competition. learning without getting hurt is a much better prize.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, novazeus said:

not readily available everywhere but i recommend a small dose of vitamin cannabis oil before bed. 

if u have an open mind and start googling “cannabis oil” u will see why.

Make sure you are not on a blood thinner or have a heart condition, since cbd works in a funny way to bind with cytochrome P450, which acts to break down drugs/poisons in our blood and endocrine system. The only real scientific studies are coming from Canada and are under way now.

check out the CBDpoject.org for more on this. It is fantastic as a remedy, but there are odd interactions to be aware of.

Just now, Stan Onymous said:

Make sure you are not on a blood thinner or have a heart condition, since cbd works in a funny way to bind with cytochrome P450, which acts to break down drugs/poisons in our blood and endocrine system. The only real scientific studies are coming from Canada and are under way now.

check out the CBDpoject.org for more on this. It is fantastic as a remedy, but there are odd interactions to be aware of.

please don’t confuse cannabis oil with cbd oil. very different. 

but yes, do ur own research. if u are on blood pressure medicine, u will probably be able to quit taking it. i was.

since getting my three months to live prognosis 4 years ago, i’ve been using cannabis oil on and off for the last 4 years. sometimes as much as 2 grams a day. i haven’t seen a doctor since sept. 2014 and i don’t take any prescription medicine. i haven’t had a cold in 4 years. my recent correspondence with my admitting nurse after my last lab of 0.6 psa. i was asking her why nobody thought it unusual that before doing proton treatment, i had already lowered my psa from 35.4 to 18.1 only using cannabis oil.

Screenshot_20180626-152106_Email

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I do believe age is what you feel and the people you hang around with just because time has caught you dose not mean you stop living but in your life tells the story if you been active or a couch potato dinking too much soda pop 

I say find new friends who do what you do or like to do this is where you'll find exceptance in you new hobby i 56 open minded to new things i ride a 2017 suzuki hayabusa my second one i just discovered the e world im sorted hook i bought 2 ebikes a super73 rx and a rambo rebel completely 2 different ebikes i do overlanding style camping thats why i bought the rambo rebel its a mid drive 1000 watts 10 speed cassette nice if you run out of power , and a veteran sherman euc ,, never really wore the type of saftey body protective gear until i bought the euc , so don't let age keep you from new experiences in life this whats makes you come alive

• Like 3

68 years old. 3000miles. Nb1 c+ and new Telsa T3.

Take precautions. But I dont mean Gear Up.

SPEED is the number one enemy.

Scan your pavement closer. Cracks, holes, treeroots, other bikers, water, Mud! 

Quit HotDogginit for the chicks. Slow down. No more snow!

Its not how we feel now thats counts. Its, how are ya gonna feel in a pile of old crumpled up bones? You don't know your bones are thinning until you fall. Just like you use to, hundreds of times.

Go ahead Ride. Just... SLOW DOWN!!!

• Like 2

Speed is definitely for the young guys. I'm 51 and already have a hip replacement, not from unicycling, but i skied and MTN biked hardcore for over a decade with hundreds of crashes of varying degrees and have more than a dozen surgeries, lost count! If you want end up like me, ya go for it, speed is fun!

• 4 weeks later...

An old couple--61 and 69--have been riding 5 years. Love it, even a fall once in a blue moon is well worth it. We are always running our own local travelling tours covering easily of 30 miles of scenic route that otherwise by walking would be unlikely :roflmao:

• Like 2

I'm 75. Got a V8 ~4 years ago and now ride 16X and a S18, have ~4,500 miles under my belt.

It took determination and perseverance to get started, but this is a really worthwhile, very rewarding activity. I ride with reasonable caution, rarely on the road and speed only on terrain I'm already familiar with.

The limiting factor for me is the weight of newer wheels. Trends that increase range and add suspension systems inevitably make for heavier wheels. The 16X mitigated this very nicely by making the handle wide enough to grasp with both hands, however, Kingsong have discontinued this improvement. The S18 using a small, recessed handle. They also made the mistake of allowing a significant increase in production model weight to reduce manufacturing cost.

As much as I like the S20 specs, it will be a tough sell for me as Kingsong retained the inadequate, single grip S18 handle in addition to adding weight - don't know how heavy it will be yet.  I will continue to exercise to develop upper body strength, hoping to be able to get an S20, but if they do the same trick and make the production model even heavier, forget it.

But hey, I'm a lucky duck, able to take up and continue this activity in retirement, and my present rides are great. So it's all good.

• Like 3

On 7/15/2018 at 1:22 PM, Wig said:

Hey Marty, 

You should always wear gear, don’t forget the automobile drivers are looking at their phones. Make padding up part of the prep routine.

• Like 2

My dad is 70, he rides a 16s with me at least once a week. He only wears wrist guards and had some falls going 20mph. Most of the time it's a bump he didn't see that sends him off the wheel.

He has exercised for a few hours 6 days a week since he was 16yrs old though. He rolls really well when falls and so far has not broken any bones.

He's not on any medication, but it still takes longer for him to stop bleeding when he gets cheese graded. 

When he gets a faster wheel he has agreed to wear more gear, but he's pretty stubborn. 

It took about 2 weeks for him to be able to start and stop unassisted and now he has aprox 3k miles under him. 

He rides on road most of the time but in the begining off road boosted his skills very quickly and made pavement riding easy by comparison. 

I'd recommend leaving on a grass field. This saves you and the EUC from falling on hard ground and it's more difficult than smooth tarmac so when you do make the switch riding is easy. 

• Like 2

69 years old. Started about 5 weeks ago with a V8F, and have about 68 miles on it now. My first session was using a rail on a narrow bridge path and getting advice from an experienced rider, the key advice was to constantly steer left and right instead of trying to go straight for balance. It was hot, so I there for only 20 minutes. Later that day when it cooled off, I went to a tennis court and after a few minutes using the fence for mount and ride assist, I ventured away from the fence and was able to arm flail | yaw steer (flail arms left to steer right and vice versa) to  maintain balance (steer into direction of fall) and also direct the V8F where I wanted to go, and was doing one lap at a time around the tennis court. The second day, I was doing 3 or 4 laps at a time. I didn't feel comfortable with more speed in the tennis court so I went to a location with a long straight with two trash bin enclosures about 500 feet apart, that I could use for assisted mount and launch. At around 6 mph or so, the V8F was much more stable, and I focused on speed control via leaning forwards | backwards and tilt (foot) steering, tilting the V8F to see how it would respond, initially just minor tilting, evolving into a minor weave pattern. Following the advice in Kuji Roll's how to ride video, I learned how to free mount last, just doing a couple of steps and hopping on since I already knew how to ride. My first few free mounts were on grass, my only time on a grassy field. After this, I worked on improving turns (less mid-turn corrections). I'm still consciously doing tilt steering exercises for balance, doing weave patterns at various speeds and cycle rates, with the goal of tilt steering for balance becoming a reflexive response.

For safety, I first lowered the max speed to 20 kph (12 mph), and later set it back to the default 25 kph (15 mph). I plan to leave it at that speed. I wear a Bell Super 3R MIPS helmet and 187 wrist guards, similar to what I've seen in most of the videos of riders on EUCs like the V8F. Almost all my riding is on a long and wide pathway at a large venue, without many other people there at the times I ride. I have ordered Leatt dual axis knee | shin guards, in case I start riding at other locations like bike trails where electric vehicles are allowed (animals crossing the trail could be an issue).

So I wouldn't be caught off guard, I tested tilt back at 8, 12, and 15 mph. The V8F's tilt back is smooth and wasn't an issue. You also get an alarm beep when the tilt back is triggered. The V8F will maintain speed and balance on transitions to uphill or downhill, which I tried out on a 100 foot 6 degree hill. It did the leaning for me to adjust for the transitions, with virtually no input on my part to compensate. Transitions to down hill were similar to tilt back, except the transition to downhill leans you back to maintain speed (prevent acceleration), while tilt back on level pavement leans you back so that you slow down.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Flying W said:

My dad is 70, he rides a 16s with me at least once a week. He only wears wrist guards and had some falls going 20mph. Most of the time it's a bump he didn't see that sends him off the wheel.

He has exercised for a few hours 6 days a week since he was 16yrs old though. He rolls really well when falls and so far has not broken any bones.

He's not on any medication, but it still takes longer for him to stop bleeding when he gets cheese graded. 

When he gets a faster wheel he has agreed to wear more gear, but he's pretty stubborn. 

It took about 2 weeks for him to be able to start and stop unassisted and now he has aprox 3k miles under him. 

He rides on road most of the time but in the begining off road boosted his skills very quickly and made pavement riding easy by comparison. 

I'd recommend leaving on a grass field. This saves you and the EUC from falling on hard ground and it's more difficult than smooth tarmac so when you do make the switch riding is easy. 

Your dad is my new hero!

• Like 1