Pinwheel cutting out without warning

DownhillCol

Hi all I’m very new to all this so it may just be something I’m doing wrong but, I got myself a Pinwheel just to practice on and to see if it’s for me, I’ve been slowly building myself up going up and down the back garden and practicing my turns, (I’m much better at turning left than right which is a bit odd LOL) but I had no problems with cutoffs, so I ventured out onto the local field thinking it would a nice big place to practice and fall off, but when trying to go a bit faster up a very slight bank it would just cut off without warning and send me flying! Is that normal for these wheels? I presume it’s because I was leaning to far forward but there was no beep to warn me and luckily the few times it did it I wasn’t going very fast! I can see why people get some nasty injury’s on these ? I’m used to coming off my pushbike at 30 or 40 mph but coming off this seems pretty nasty. Thanks for any info ?

I don't know what a Pinwheel is, but presumably it's a super-inexpensive wheel. Typically they are very underpowered and can easily dump you. I consider all of these type of wheels to be very dangerous. You couldn't pay me to ride one because I value my soft tissues and bones <_<

So to directly answer your question, yes, it's normal for these types of wheels. It's not normal for quality name-brand wheels such as Inmotion, KingSong, Gotway, etc.

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't know what a Pinwheel is, but presumably it's a super-inexpensive wheel. Typically they are very underpowered and can easily dump you. I consider all of these type of wheels to be very dangerous. You couldn't pay me to ride one because I value my soft tissues and bones <_<

So to directly answer your question, yes, it's normal for these types of wheels. It's not normal for quality name-brand wheels such as Inmotion, KingSong, Gotway, etc.

Yeah they are pretty underpowered compared to the Gotways etc but enough to practice on and I’m super glad I didn’t spend a fortune on one to practice with as it would be a mess by now ? I think just slow and steady with this wheel then until I’m able to fork out for something better. I just watched some fella on YouTube ignoring the beep going top speed and flying off it, I rode a motor bike for years and you do get way to confident on them then they end up throwing you off one day. So I can see this not being a great thing for me to have ha ha.  

I had a pinwheel with some lipo battery and something like 400W motor. It was good to learn and do small distance at speed below 18-20km/h. But I never had a cutoff as long as I listen to the beep / did not brake too strong with a full battery. Is your lipo battery old ? Because I don't think pinwheel has made any wheel lately...

5 minutes ago, jbwheel said:

I had a pinwheel with some lipo battery and something like 400W motor. It was good to learn and do small distance at speed below 18-20km/h. But I never had a cutoff as long as I listen to the beep / did not brake too strong with a full battery. Is your lipo battery old ? Because I don't think pinwheel has made any wheel lately...

I must say It holds a good charge so can’t see that being an issue, but perhaps it’s just not built for off-road adventures LOL either that or it got to hot. I’ve never heard a beep while riding it but always put that down to not going fast. I’m just a little concerned now about it doing it while I’m on a hard surface though ? there is sound on the unit as it kills my ears and wakes up all the locals every time I turn it on, so I know that works. 

41 minutes ago, DownhillCol said:

but when trying to go a bit faster up a very slight bank it would just cut off without warning and send me flying! Is that normal for these wheels? I presume it’s because I was leaning to far forward but there was no beep to warn me and luckily the few times it did it I wasn’t going very fast! 

As @Marty Backewrote thats quite normal for these wheels.

If it was a "real" cutoff it could have been the bms kicking in the overcurrent protection, or you just reached the limit of the motor(+battery) so there was no more power available to keep you upright.

The first thing (bms overcurrent protection) is no prob anymore with modern wheels, the second possibility ("normal" overlean) can still happen. Just with stronger accelerations/inclines at higher speeds...

And from time to time (fortunately very seldom) also the new quality name wheels can get a hick up and just dumb the driver... :(

2 minutes ago, Chriull said:

As @Marty Backewrote thats quite normal for these wheels.

If it was a "real" cutoff it could have been the bms kicking in the overcurrent protection, or you just reached the limit of the motor(+battery) so there was no more power available to keep you upright.

The first thing (bms overcurrent protection) is no prob anymore with modern wheels, the second possibility ("normal" overlean) can still happen. Just with stronger accelerations/inclines at higher speeds...

And from time to time (fortunately very seldom) also the new quality name wheels can get a hick up and just dumb the driver... :(

Yes @DownhillCol, as @Chriull says, any wheel can potential dump you. You have decided to partake in a contact sport. Minimally, please consider using wrist guards. Also, when you fall, the knees will often hit the ground so I'm a big believer in knee pads.

Visit the Safety section of this Forum for lots of good tips regarding equipment, techniques, etc.

20 minutes ago, DownhillCol said:

I must say It holds a good charge so can’t see that being an issue, but perhaps it’s just not built for off-road adventures LOL either that or it got to hot. I’ve never heard a beep while riding it but always put that down to not going fast. I’m just a little concerned now about it doing it while I’m on a hard surface though ? there is sound on the unit as it kills my ears and wakes up all the locals every time I turn it on, so I know that works. 

One can do "hard" accelerations (1) at low speeds or high speeds with low accelerations. High speeds with high accelerations lead to overleans - thats the limit of the e-motor:

(1) also inclines are burdenwise like accelerations in regard to the motor limit.

Archived