FIREWHEEL OWNERS

525rider

Reading post about Firewheel I can see people have had quite a few problems. I wonder if the factory has fixed them. I've had my F 528 since May and put about 300 miles on it.

So far I can say only good, very happy with the purchase.

Some safety features I have found so far, some of them I haven't seen to be mentioned:

1. overheat protection   when pushed really hard up very steep and long hill at the top the unit started shaking ( vibrating ) and voice asked for restarting, took about 3 minutes to  cool down.

2. low battery protection  I ran the battery down to zero few times to see what happens  again the unit starts shaking and voice says battery is low ( no shut down )

3. speed warning  10.5 mph buzzer, getting close to 15 mph the pedals start to rise with increasing speed and  make it harder to go faster, I haven't go past 17 mph yet.

It is a very comfortable, maneuverable and fun unit

You maybe have the newer board that @dmethvin also got around May when his first board burned.

1. I don't know if mine has this, there have been so few really warm days this summer, so I don't think I could have overheated it anyway...

2. This is the same as on mine. No shutdown, but accelerating becomes impossible, since the unit won't accelerate past about walking speed and forces you to stop with the constant shaking

3. Mine starts the buzzer around 18km/h (11mph), second warning with the female voice saying something (don't know what, I've never really heard it clearly enough) around 25km/h (15.5mph), and the final "Take care, take care"-warning around 28km/h (17.4mph). No tilt-back at any point.

On the previous owner, it did shutdown if you went past the last warning and didn't decelerate pretty much immediately. After the battery was shunted, it no longer does that, and goes past 30km/h, never tried how far, as at some point once the rpm gets high enough, the torque of the motor will just not be enough to balance... :P

I'm currently modifying the wheel to have 576Wh worth of batteries (3 * 192Wh, don't know when I'll get the 4th one to get full 768Wh), finally more range...

Today I discovered that the pedals lift is way more noticable when the batteries are low especially going uphill. It must be some kind of protection.

The first time it took me by surprise it really lifted me up and I am 100 kg.

Today I discovered that the pedals lift is way more noticable when the batteries are low especially going uphill. It must be some kind of protection.

The first time it took me by surprise it really lifted me up and I am 100 kg.

Hmm, do the newer mainboards have speed-based tilt-back? Or does it start it when batteries are low and pulling more current out of the packs? I hope it doesn't have speed-based tilt-back, at least "too soon", I'm so used to riding around 25-28km/h without tilt-back, and I probably have to get a newer mainboard to use the larger batteries... :mellow: Wouldn't mind that much if it only occurs past the last warning (28+).

I received my firewheel F779 on April 30th. Never shunted. the audible warnings are the same as esaj. I have never gotten a pedal tiltback nor have felt a "shaking" when going up a hill or high speeds. It has simply just shut off suddenly when it was pushed its speed limit. I will also say that the lowest battery level I've gotten is around 15%.

Archived