A good starter wheel?

DrZoidberg

Inmotion/Solowheel are servicing my motor and the replacement is in the works. I got nearly 2000 miles on it before it failed. I can still ride it, it just makes a clunk noise when I change directions, and it is a little more unstable at high speeds while going over bumps. If I wanted to, I could still ride it conservatively with no problems. I dont want to lull into a false sense of riding though so I have abstained, having other options.

You can still get warranty on any EUC you get, just make sure the seller will be around when you need it. I have heard nothing but praise for Speedyfeet and Wheelgo in the EU (sort of til Brexit).

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DrZoidberg

Based on the info you have provided clearly you don't need to be spending thousands on your forever wheel. You appear to need a low range, high portability wheel that could take a beating while you learn and be durable enough for long term practical ownership as you aren't (at the moment ;)) going to be upgrading every year to the fastest and most powerful available. 

My primary recommendation for you would be the Inmotion V8. Not the cheapest wheel but most certainly not the most expensive. Build quality is considered some of the best in the industry. It is has medium speed and range abilities that probably exceed your criteria. Has a 16" wheel which is IMO the best size for practical all round use. It is thin and Is relatively light which is a bonus for your stair climb with a great carry handle containing a motor kill switch for when you lift it which is great for jumping on and off the train and negotiating the odd kerb as well as a built in trolly for walking the wheel in non-ridable areas. Your body weight is well within the capabilities of the 800W motor even if you end up in a moderately hilly area. The side is ablaze with led's which in most cases I abhor, but, set at the right colors these are actually great for increasing front and side visibility at night, plus if you get drunk at a party you can turn your wheel in a disco light! The shell isn't the most robust out there but for learning or full time use there is an official padded cover you can buy that does a great job keeping the wheel in top form and looks good. This wheel is also known as the Solowheel Glide 3 in the US. Price about 830 UK pounds from speedyfeet.co.uk plus any tax you may have to pay. Also available from electricunicycles.eu for 995 euros. Full disclosure: I own a V8. 

The other wheel I won't recommended as I've no experience of it (neither has anyone else I know of) but will suggest you look at is the Uniwheel. This is a very new release and many here feel the Uniwheel is already outdated having spent forever in the development stage but I see it as having huge potential as a city wheel for someone just like you. Low range (8-12km) but this also means it is very light at just 10.8kg (vs 13.6kg for the V8). Not to fast so you don't need crazy body armor to stay safe (although some select gear is suggested at all times on any wheel at any speed) Want to ride further? You can carry a spare battery (150 UK pounds) in a backpack and easily swap it out mid ride. Also a 16" wheel for practicality. Built in headlamp and tail light. Easily replaceable body parts/bumpers so you can smarten it up after you drop it a few times learning. It doesn't have a trolly handle but with the light weight this may not bother you. Also no motor kill switch for lifting but it has proximity sensors to detect the rider. I'm not sure how these operate and could substitute the kill switch for quick lifts without power off. Designed and built in the UK this wheel might have a more trustworthy design when it comes to safety and reliability but this is an assumption at this point. You can find out more an uniwheel.co.uk Price: 870 UKP on their site and on proj42.co.uk.

The KS16S is a great wheel but it seems from your needs it is overkill. It is heavier, probably too fast,  and more expensive that either of the options above.

Honorable mentions for the IPS i5 and even maybe the Segway/Ninebot One S2 as other possible options for you to investigate. These are cheaper than either of the two wheels I suggested above but are 14" which honestly I would only go for if I wanted a trick/fun wheel which I don't think you want. The i5 is light, small and highly portable. 

My only reservation in suggesting the V8 (or any small battery EUC) is battery performance in cold weather riding (something you intend to do). Cold reduces the ability of the battery to produce energy in high demand situations. Big batteries spread the load over many parallel cell banks making the demand less per cell. Smaller battery packs therefore demand more per cell. As a result in the cold there is potential they will be overwhelmed which could result in a fall. I think this is unlikely in your case due to short rides where the cells won't have the chance to go cold but I wanted to raise it. The V8 has 2 parallel battery banks with the demand spread over both equally. The KS16S, by nature of its larger and heavier battery has 4 parallel banks. As such each bank only has to power 1/4 the demand and so is less risky. I'm  guessing the Uniwheel has just 1 bank. The cells must provide all the demand which is the highest risk, however, there is some debate that the Uniwheel uses different battery tech that may not be as susceptible to these demand problems. You would need to investigate. 

Good luck and update us in your search. 

Archived