San Francisco - No EUC on Golden Gate Bridge

Peter Le Lievre

For those in the Bay Area i was riding back across the Golden Gate Bridge last night after 9PM. The cycleway is closed then and the pedestrian pathway has a security gate after 9. I pressed the intercom but they refused to open the gate.  I was told that 'motorized' devices are not allowed on the either the Cycleway (west side) or Pedestrian way (east side) . So I was totally stuck. You just cant take the roadway as it is too dangerous. After a 'discussion' security sent a patrol car whom offered me a ride. The pickup was in the east car park.  

So an OK outcome but food for thought for any one contemplating a bridge ride.  

My own take is that if you cross before 9pm then the cyclway is pretty much OK and although technically EUC's aren't allowed, you can go across mixing it with the bikes as long as you don't bring attention to yourself. My only recommendation is that it sure is windy up there and the path is narrow so make sure you are confident on your EUC before attempting. 

Longer term, I guess we need to lobby about this issue as its nuts that EUC's are banned when they are both safe and practical and in the future I expect we will see a lot more of them. Unlike the bikes whom all seem to think faster is better and travel at dangerous speeds the whole time on that cycleway. Its just a matter of time before someone is knocked over the edge!

th?id=OIP.85bVNptGU6SimvHZepT2QwEsDg&pid

The decision seems pretty arbitrary, I wonder which authority is responsible for it and who needs to be contacted to lobby to reverse the decision.

One of the fun things to do is to ride over the bridge to sausalito and back on EUC and now we can't do that anymore !

I agree that when I was able to ride over the bridge there were a lot of cyclists traveling very fast and much more dangerous to others.

• 6 months later...

I sneaked across the bridge once to Sausalito side, but on my way back to SF side, a bicycle cop stopped me saying that no motorized vehicles including EUCs are allowed on the bridge. The strange thing is that many bicycles are electric, thus motorized and it's hard to tell if they are turned on. Also, when was the last time speed limit on 15mph is enforced. So I think this law about no EUCs on the bridge is outdated. The California state law sanctioned the use of green vehicles, but the local/regional rules and regulations are not in compliance or consistent with state laws. So you are right, lobbying is needed to make local laws comply with state laws. There is already a 15mph limit which governs the use of all kinds of vehicles on pedestrian ways. Like the critical mass of bicyclists, we need to form a critical mass for EUCs when our numbers reach that level. We need to explain to the state/city government/politicians that it's time to update the laws.

I think EUC should be allowed wherever bikes are allowed. Many bikes today have electric assist, so these are allowed on the bridge provided that the riders pedal their way across. Talk about huge loophole, lol.

If it's safety they are concerned about, then I don't mind if they say you have to go across the bridge at a certain speed limit and then ticket any offenders who exceed that or who are riding recklessly.

• 11 months later...

Why do these bridge cops and street cops not enforcing speed limit on bicyclists, but bridge cops pick on EUC riders? All EUC riders need to form a critical mass/mess and to demand law changes. Electric bicycles, are they considered motorized vehicles? Just because they are not turned on while crossing the bridge, does that make them not a motorized vehicle? State bureaucrats need to do their job and we need to raise our voice at them.

1 hour ago, scubadragosan said:

All EUC riders need to form a critical mass/mess and to demand law changes.

Critical mass sucks. Yeah, let's form a huge mob, break a bunch of traffic/safety laws and inconvenience everyone to raise EUC awareness. That will make people think more favorably of us.

Critical mass doesn't have to be unruly, although sometimes that's what it takes to get done and get heard. How else things will change if these politicians don't realize there are thousands out there demand it? Of course, we aren't there yet. But it's never too soon... We need to push the world forward...

Archived