Anatomy of an attempted used bicycle purchase

Bob Eisenman

I didn't win the $200 (used) Tern D8 bike sale but this is how the attempt went:

Day1( Seller's description on Craigslist)

I'm moving to Germany. It is a well used bike that might need a tune up. Folded up the bike can be used as a seat on the train. Can view at either Cambridge or (home location).

Day1(emails to Craigslist seller)

Me: 
I am interested in the bike. Viewing in Cambridge works for me. 

Bob Eisenman

Me:
I'm taking the MBTA to Boston. The price is agreeable at $200. I could view today.

Bob Eisenman

Seller: 
Hi Robert,

I have someone coming by at 2pm tmrw. I'm in Kendall Sq until 5pm today and until 3pm tmrw if you can come by.

Seller:
When can you make it to Kendall Sq?

Thanks,

Me:
Hi,
I'll be on the Blue Line in 10 minutes and then to Kendall Sq on the red line. I'd say 5pm is likely , maybe a few minutes past. 
Where should we meet if OK?

Robert

Me:
You could text me at my phone if it helps.

Thanks,
Bob

Seller:
Hi Robert,

Sorry, let's try for tmrw. I'm just leaving now to go pick up my son.

Thanks,

Me:
I'm on the Blue Line. I'll look for your email when your ready tomorrow.

Bob

PS. I have a sport (EUC) correspondent in the Munich area who rode bikes for a long time before switching to Electric Unicycles.

He's been riding in the Alps in Bavaria lately for 40 miles a ride from Rosenheim.

Bob Eisenman

Me:
My interest in your bike stems from an injury in March on my EUC where I broke a shoulder. My EUC riding is returning since the end of physical therapy. Here's a YouTube ride I made recently.

https://youtu.be/c8XcWYBJAHI

HoodRiderz offers a 5 minute Electric bike conversion kit that fits a 24 inch rim. I might consider turning a bike such as yours into an ebike if I find that I like the ride.

Kendall Sq. Hummm...sounds like biotech country. I worked for 16 years at Children's before becoming retired
Bob

Day2(emails)

Me:
Hi Mike,
   I’m in Boston for the day. Please let me know if the bike is still up for sale.

Thanks,
Bob

Seller:
Hi Robert,

I have someone coming to look at it at 2pm today in Kendall Sq. I'll let you know if he doesn't take it.

Thanks,

Seller:
Hi Robert, 

Sorry just sold it.

Thanks,

Me:

?Great price!

40209.jpg

Archived