Kingsong app and android 6.0

Brotato

Hi my friend has a Kingsong and he is trying to use the app, now the app works on my phone which is Android version 5.0 and another phone which is 4.4 but when he tries it on his phone which is 6.0 it doesnt find the unicycle when you open the app. Does anyone have a solution for this? im having trouble understanding the manual regarding this. Any help would be appreciated thanks :)

Reason is that the developers do not ask for the necessary Android authorizations in 6.0, you need to set them manually.

Go to "App permissions" and grant the Kingsong App "storage" and "GPS" permission.

GPS permission is necessary for Bluetooth connection (I don't have time yet to explain this further), and storage permission is necessary for being able to do a successful firmware upgrade, if you want to do so at some time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13.5.2017 at 6:57 PM, HermanTheGerman said:

Reason is that the developers do not ask for the necessary Android authorizations in 6.0, you need to set them manually.

Saved my day! I couldn't get it to work either (Android 7.1) and thought, maybe check the forum for advice... :wacko:

I downloaded the current app from the KingSong service area. It's version 1.4. Is this the one we should be using? Because I read somewhere that the app allows to turn off the "Hello" message, but I couldn't find anything to that end.

Interesting thing is that I also tried WheelLog and it couldn't connect either, even though it saw the device (KS16-S). Now that I connected using the KingSong app, WheelLog could connect as well.

8 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

Saved my day! I couldn't get it to work either (Android 7.1) and thought, maybe check the forum for advice... :wacko:

I downloaded the current app from the KingSong service area. It's version 1.4. Is this the one we should be using? Because I read somewhere that the app allows to turn off the "Hello" message, but I couldn't find anything to that end.

You need to enter "voice control" in the settings and turn it off (but then all messages are gone, and alarm3 is beeping only). I use it this way.

However, xoltri uploaded a beta version of the new app to Mega and you can try it (I didn't try it by myself untii now, no time):

On 17.5.2017 at 4:52 PM, xoltri said:

Hey all, Frankman had sent me the file a few days ago.  I've put it up on Mega, let me know if you have any problems:

https://mega.nz/#!cTgCRZJL!sBbPCd0LL5Z-difyl1NO1NHAAS01Jshotxc42BJk7wE

And regarding this:

8 hours ago, Christoph Zens said:

Interesting thing is that I also tried WheelLog and it couldn't connect either, even though it saw the device (KS16-S). Now that I connected using the KingSong app, WheelLog could connect as well.

Welcome to the pack of Kingsong App-bugs victims. :D

This is a known problem, which seems to bite also KS16S owners. For KS16B users like me it was introduced with the upgrade from 1.23 to 1.25, because they changed the bluetooth handshaking. So if you want to use WheelLog, always connect the Kingsong App first (at least for now, and I have heard also with the Beta-Version above this problem is still there).

4 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

You need to enter "voice control" in the settings and turn it off (but then all messages are gone, and alarm3 is beeping only). I use it this way.

OK, got it. But now I somehow don't get it :confused1:  With voice control turned on and everything still at default (18, 19, and 20 kph, ollie at 20 as well), I accelerated. At some point, the wheel said "please decelerate", which - as a well behaved rider - I did immediately. So now I am confused regarding the 3 different warning levels. Does it say different things at these speeds? I didn't hear any beeps (yet). Does it first emit the voice message and then beep, and with voice off, just beep? Any insight would really be helpful, the manual is not really too verbose about this.

I wonder why they call it voice control. That would mean I say "wheel: decelerate" and it would do as instructed. That's voice control. Or do they mean "wheel will use the voice control interface of the rider" ? Strange. :huh:

3 minutes ago, Christoph Zens said:

OK, got it. But now I somehow don't get it :confused1:  With voice control turned on and everything still at default (18, 19, and 20 kph, ollie at 20 as well), I accelerated. At some point, the wheel said "please decelerate", which - as a well behaved rider - I did immediately. So now I am confused regarding the 3 different warning levels. Does it say different things at these speeds? I didn't hear any beeps (yet). Does it first emit the voice message and then beep, and with voice off, just beep? Any insight would really be helpful, the manual is not really too verbose about this.

I wonder why they call it voice control. That would mean I say "wheel: decelerate" and it would do as instructed. That's voice control. Or do they mean "wheel will use the voice control interface of the rider" ? Strange. :huh:

I think it's just bad translation from Mandarin.

Voicecontrol in the App just means, if it is on, you will hear no beeps, but spoken messages from the wheel, including the hated "Hello Kingsong" when you start it.

If voicecontrol is off, the wheel will not talk to you in any case, but just beep instead. I use e.g. the alarm/ollie settings of 0,0,30,30, which means it starts beeping and slightly tilting back at 30 (which is safe, because the wheel can do 40, maybe even more, but I don't know).

If you set it to 18,19,20,20 with voicecontrol off it will do a 1-beeper at 18, 2 beeps with silence in between at 19, and continuously beep and starting tiltback at 20.

If you do the same with voicecontrol on, it will throw a spoken message at you instead of beeping, but I don't know the details because I preferred the more silent mode of driving. :)

9 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

If you set it to 18,19,20,20 with voicecontrol off it will do a 1-beeper at 18, 2 beeps with silence in between at 19, and continuously beep and starting tiltback at 20.

If you do the same with voicecontrol on, it will throw a spoken message at you instead of beeping, but I don't know the details because I preferred the more silent mode of driving. :)

Great, thank you! I'll go with the beeps then. I mean, when I accelerate, given the power of this wheel, I'll reach tilt back speed long before the wheel even finished talking to me. I'm not sure how useful this really is, especially if there are three different messages...

Archived