Learning to ride a unicycle - balance improvement

Pingouin

Hi guys !

So lately I have been thinking about how to improve my balance, I want to progress on my EUC, but I am always scared of falling and hurting the EUC, so I thought about a way to improve my balance, and I think I found the solution : learn to unicycle :D

No, not an electric unicycle, but a regular unicycle, it is said to be very hard to learn to ride these things, and that it takes a hell lot of balance to master a straight line. This is obviously not meant to travel, it seems exhausting, the only purpose is to improve my overall balance, and then to be able to do more tricks on an EUC :)

Maybe I'm wrong the whole line, but I really hope It'll help me, plus it's a challenge for me to ride this thing ^^ (it cost me 20$)

For now, I just rode it for a few meters, it's intersting I've been able to achieve 1m without falling :D maybe EUC does help with UC, I think the lateral balance is the same. I want to be able to ride it this weekend, wish be good luck ^^

If you guys have any tips btw

20170320_204222.jpg

I learned to ride a unicycle more than 35 years ago, long before EUCs were a twinkle in some inventor's eye. I credit it with my being able to mount and ride my Ninebot One in less than an hour of practice. I'd have to say that you are on the right track -- it will help improve your balance, and what you learn is definitely transferable to an EUC.

If you can ride a unicycle a few meters,  it won't be long before it is second nature. When I was teaching myself to ride a regular unicycle, the advice at the time was to use a shopping cart (trolley) to support you in your first attempts. But since you can already ride a few meters, I think you are past that stage. Keep it up, and post video of your attempts!

The skills of riding a 'real' unicycle most definitely transfer over to riding a EUC.  Here is an experienced unicycle rider that I met via the unicyclist.com forum riding a EUC for the very first time after about 3 minutes of instruction from me.  Amazing!

See he has some trouble at the very beginning because he is used to balancing himself front to back.  Once he realizes he doesn't have to do that, he smooths right out.  To me, this is very impressive. 

I believe almost any balance training will boost EUC skills, even for a beginner. I have a colleague who saw me on my EUC and wanted to try for himself. He has previous experience as a scater (some time ago) and was quite certain that he would manage to ride the EUC pretty fast because he already had good balancing skills from that. I instructed him on how to mount the EUC and advised him to hold on to my shoulder while I walked along with him. After just a few meters he left me and rode along on his own, just as good as the rider in the above video from @dpong. He could even turn left and right, and he didn't panic just because a car came towards him (we were on the entrance to a parking lot). He just changed his course to avoid hitting the car and rode on. I was amazed - and a little embarrassed thinking of how long I had to train to ride like that - maybe the third day :P

Archived