How are you mounting headlights?

flvraptor

I thought it'd be nice to bump this thread as many of us now ride in the dark.

Having a hand-held flashlight that you can point into the cabin of the car about to run you over is invaluable. It has saved me a number of times now over the past few weeks. Yesterday I had a close call at a crowded 4 way stop sign, and when it was my turn to go (I have a downward pointed light in addition to the flashlight), I slowly trundled on my wheel across the intersection acting like a bicycle, and an SUV rolled through the intersection. I did shine the light into his cabin, then bailed from my wheel (and caught it, hah!) as the SUV bumped me, but it did stop (and stalled his engine, yes!).

Usually I do a "New York" turn into the car, and cross from behind, but this SUV rolled through the stop well after I was into the intersection, so that was that.

Honestly, I'm unsure what kind of lights would be effective in an area where there are neither pedestrians nor bicyclists.

I think I need more lights, and an active light vest.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I think I need more lights, and an active light vest.

I commute home in the dark (late) and regularly wear a headlamp, a light vest, reflective gear and additional blinking light or two...

A Veglo light-vest is less than $10 on Amazon and pairs well with reflective wear to make you stand-out. (Believe me, I stand out!)

Archived