IPS 191 Lhotz review from a newbie rider

sboat

I just received my IPS 191 Lhotz a week ago. This is my first EU, and I have never seen anyone ride an EU nor seen one in person. I tried to load the app but no success. The wheel is new out of the box and the 30 KPH has been unlocked and it hits top speed out of the box ( I don't know how or why ). I have ridden the Lhotz about 10 times, usually for a 45 minutes or so a session.

This is my review : I have an extensive background in riding unicycles as a kid. I beat the heck out of several unicycles growing up ( 20 inch, 24 inch ). I bought and later sold a 28 inch ( too big, fast, dangerous tough to turn, dismount etc. ). I used to ride down long flights of stairs, go backwards, stationary the whole bit. I am a life long surfer and professional ski patroller so I should be used to this challenge as a new EU rider. My first day,within 2 minutes on the Lhotz I was off and running with no issues. It was harder and still is sometimes to make slow tight turns in confined spaces ( 10 foot area ) but no worries. I have not learned to stall, go backwards or start without holding on to a post to start. In about a week I should be able to start without holding on to a post, I think.

When I reach 30 KPH, I get the beeping warning and the pedals start to tilt backward, but nothing you can't handle. This is not an issue at all unless the battery is less than 50 % charged. The lower the battery charge, the more the tilt back , so you sometimes are doing a death grip on the Lhotz with your calf for stability. When the battery needs a charge and beeps constantly,man this thing tilts back ( it wants you off this thing ). So the lower the battery power, the more tilt back at top speed. If I try to turn sharply weaving back and doing more extreme high speed turns, the Lhotz will beep and warn you not to do that !

For you snow skiers, this is the bomb.The Lhotz doing turns from side to side reminds me of skiing good form, low speed turns on a green or very mild blue run. That is awesome, just have to take it easy and not get too radical because I fear the Lhotz does not like that and could do one of the power failure dumps others had mentioned. I don't like riding on grass or sand as much as pavement, as I am all about turning back and forth side to side to simulate skiing. I no longer wear pads, only a helmet, so I try to keep this thing under the top speed limit so the Lhotz is not over powered and all goes well. I love this thing and it is damn worth every penny !

The beeping should start at 23 kph. getting faster at around 26 kph, and a constant beep and additional tiltback at 29 kph, if the battery is full.

As Mono said, respect the tiltback! Faceplanting at 30 kph is not taken lightly.

For supportless mounting the wheel, try first controlling the wheel with one foot while the other is still on the ground. Roll the wheel back and forth, even a circle around you. Do this for some minutes, and mounting supportless will come really easy to you.

The low battery warning should also be respected. If ignored, you will wear down the battery way faster.

Archived