Level calibration KS16, results ?

HermanTheGerman

Hi mates,

today while I rode my KS16 to lunch, I tried level calibration for the first time, and set the pedals a little bit steeper.  I think, it was a mistake.

Although, when riding flat on rough, stony terrain, my feet no longer started gliding forward, which is good, but riding uphill and especially downhill the wheel started wobbling heavily, especially downhill with faster speeds (pressing together my lower legs I could overcome that, but it was no easy gliding as before).  I needed nearly half an hour then to find a setting which feels good again, but I am not sure if it is the same angle as before.  Maybe, it is a little bit better as the original setting, but I don't know for sure.

At least I could break my personal maxspeed record with it, wheelLog showed a whopping 39 km/h. :ph34r::o:)

But I'll not try that often, because I don't want to break other things. :D

I would be interested, which experiences others have with level calibration, and how do you measure the original and the new angle ?  Do you use a water bubble ?

Thanks, HtG

Screenshot2.jpg

45 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

You really drive the KS16 so much over the tiltback? 39 kmh???

Are you in the need to have a Faceplant? :-)

I plead not guilty !

It just happened (or maybe the display was wrong). :)  

I confess, tiltback was strong, but short, I reacted immediately, and I'm always riding with helmet and elbow protectors, so don't fear to fall, and batteries were full. Actually I didn't know that it was that fast until I looked at the app again a few minutes later.

However, I would really be interested in other people's experiences with level calibration, good or bad.

For me I can say, I will leave it alone in the future, because it was difficult to find a good angle again after I calibrated it badly first.

I have two identical ks18 but ks16 does not know, however, calibration of the level I've discovered one peculiarity of my wheels. During calibration of the wheel to get a good result to be exactly vertical (if you seen from front or behind ) !  If the wheel is for calibration a little lean towards the side, becomes is soft and poorly controlled, after calibration !

Now I'm calibrate always support the wheel against the wall so that almost wants to topple over ( Vertically as possible and keep in contact with the wall ).

In this way, I have received all of the pedal positions usable . 

One observation is still : Full power will let the wheel only if in player mode ! As proof of this ,drive  learning or cycling mode in the terrain and the wheel itself can even turn off If it appears bigger and steep hurdle . If player mode, in the same place is absolutely not a problem !  Both my two KS18, exactly the same case. Therefore, always I use the player mode !

1 hour ago, HermanTheGerman said:

However, I would really be interested in other people's experiences with level calibration, good or bad.

For me I can say, I will leave it alone in the future, because it was difficult to find a good angle again after I calibrated it badly first.

I have to say that on all my wheels i put the pedal just a Little bit up in front by calibration. Then it is easier to accelerate...me Feelings...you do not have to push so hard....

On this occasions i have sometimes done the pedal a Little to much to high , so that it did not feel good anymore...but i never experienced wobbling from it!

From your decribtion it sounds more that you are not so Long driving at all?...As on high Speed downhill some newer Drivers experience wobbling and Need to clamp the wheel in their legs.....so i would not Point that to the calibration....

I ride my ACM16 with a 4 degree tilt. 

Although I have set the wheel to sports mode which is the hardest setting I find that it is still rather soft compared to my IPS.  Especially when I have it set totally level, it feels like it dips forward too much every time I set off at low speed.  Having it level at speeds of 10-20kph feels ok, but at higher speeds I alway get the feeling I'm going to fall off the front especially when you have to lean forward to accelerate or maintain speed.  Turning feels weird too because of the low speed tilt forward.

having the 4 degree tilt on the other hand removes this problem I find.  It feels more natural at higher speeds too.

For level calibration I use a spirit level app for my smartphone.

Thanks all for the hints and experiences.

Mine is also a little bit steeper now, but first it was just to much, I had to reduce it again. :-)

I like it how it is in the moment, but unfortunately the weather here in Vienna is not very EUC friendly. :-)

Archived