Going to order euc need shipping advice

swvision

I'm going to order a gotway acm16 today from ebay but for shipping the seller says freight shipping and says nothing else. Just wanted to know if they would leave it in front of my house if I wasn't there. I've never had anything shipping via freight before. I could ask my neighbor to pick up the package for me until I get back from work.

I've had a few larger items costing about $9000 USD shipped by freight from the US to Canada.  There are companies like Clearit.ca that can give you import fee estimates on the delivery.  Freight tends to be items that they pile into a large transport truck to be delivered to businesses, although they likely will drop it where ever you want.  Due to the battery hazard that may be why they are insisting on ground transport.

Usually the shipper can give you the tracking number, bill of lading, and commercial invoice that you can pass along to your clearance company who will process the item at the border for you.  You pay them and they pay the necesssry fees.  It's a pretty easy process.  I think you can save more than by going through the default clearance company by shopping around a little.  Some people are able to clear the customs themselves as an option too.  You can track your item and contact the transport company to arange delivery details.

Check though what the freight pricing will be and factor in clearance costs as it does end up being a bit pricey sometimes.  They usually request a delivery signature so I don't think they would drop an item off unsecured.

One other thing to keep in mind is how are you going to get warranty issues dealt with?  Buying directly from Gotway and getting warranty can be daunting.  Buying from eBay you really depend on how good the seller is in terms of post sale support.  If it's from a guy like MyFunwheel who I believe does some selling on eBay you would be in good hands I think, but if it's just some guy trying to move units good luck!

Archived