Hoverboard Powers Off When Leaning Forward Too Far

Mondo

I am having an issue with my Hoverboard.

Just started happening after about 6 months of use.

When riding the Hoverboard, the entire unit powers off without warning when leaning too far forward.

Just wondering if anyone had this issue before.  The board can ride fine if going slow.  But when you start to speed up and lean just a little too far forward, it completely powers off.

There is no warning whatsoever.  The hoverboard will not power back on immediately following the outage.  I have to wait a few minutes before I can start it up again.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.  I am fairly confident in being able to replace the main board or balance sensors but just need help in diagnosing the situation.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Mondo said:

...  The board can ride fine if going slow.  But when you start to speed up and lean just a little too far forward, it completely powers off.

There is no warning whatsoever.  The hoverboard will not power back on immediately following the outage.  I have to wait a few minutes before I can start it up again.

Sounds like one or more dead/bad battery cells in your pack. If you "overpower" them, the voltage gets too low and the bms cuts off. After some waiting time they recover again and get enough voltage, so the bms lets you drive on...

if the cause are really bad cells be carefull with charging - dead/bad cells tend to explode/start burning/vent when they get charged,,.

I am 170 lbs.  The unit worked excellent for 6 months.  No problem.

When you say a one or more Battery Cells, does that just mean the main battery?

When I look at the battery, it appears to be one unit.

Would a simply battery replacement be your first fix when troubleshooting?

24 minutes ago, Mondo said:

I am 170 lbs.  The unit worked excellent for 6 months.  No problem.

When you say a one or more Battery Cells, does that just mean the main battery?

When I look at the battery, it appears to be one unit.

It appears so, but it is made internally of some individual cells.

Would a simply battery replacement be your first fix when troubleshooting?

Since you said "since 6 month" is by any chance the unit and the battery still under warranty? If so contacting the seller would be my first "fix"

if not the next step would be measuring the voltages, open the pack and measure the individual cell voltages (if one knows what he does) to be sure they have to be replaced.

or if you know someone wirh a working unit and exchange the battery with yours you'd have a simple way to test the battery.

With just your description i'd give it a high chance that the battery is the cause, but without testing one cannot be sure.

I am going to measure the voltage now for testing.  The original seller is not around now.

I am sure this is already answered on the forums but keeping with the topic, but where is the best place to source a replacement battery for this?

Ebay or Aliexpress?

On both of this platforms are imho serious sellers with high quality battery packs, but also enough sellers who use bad/fake cells for the packs.

i just have one experience with a battery pack reseller, who happens to be imho serious. But he is from germany and can deliver only within the EU. I unfortionately cannot report neither good nor bad from any other reseller.

but as normal offers too cheap to be true are mostly really not true, and a high price alone does not ensure quality...;(

edit: ps: also from your report of the symptoms and their development bad cells within the battery pack are a likely cause, but it could be also some problem with the bms itself, which is as far as i know combined with the motherboard at many hoverboards and not within the battery pack as at most EUCs.

a nice first test for the status ceck of the individual cells is to fully charge the pack (including quite some time after the charging is finished , so the bms has a chance to balance the individual cells, if it does so), let them settle for some hours/a day and then check if the voltage of all the individual cells is about equal and in the range of 4.1-4.2 Volts.

Archived