See through (transparent) side LED covers for KS16

PriestHood

After removing my Tented side LED covers. I noticed the LEDs are really bright. Was wondering if Kingsong sells Transparent (or lightly tented) LED covers for the KS16. Cars will DEFINITELY see you! It would make it safer for Street, Sidewalks, Parks, Bike-Trails, etc.

20160813_183342.jpg

Welcome to forums @PriestHood and thanks for the idea.

Technically as the LEDs are flushed in a bit having the alternative clear or just mildly tinted LED covers would indeed help during the day. Having the covers shaped / designed to act as lenses for each LED would make them even more visible form large angles. Alternatively you can try to drill the holes in current covers just above the LED positions and cover those with clear plastic "plugs", preferably in a lense shape. Worst case scenario you can get replacement covers from @Jason McNeil at https://www.ewheels.com/product/king-song-16-led-panel-cover/ and Jason can even pass your suggestion to King Song / @tinawong ... ;) 

I might be actually tempted to try something like that (despite my general "opposition" to flying circus / Christmas tree lights) after getting my hands on spare pair of the side LED covers as current design makes the side LED lights basically useless in daylight.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering adding yellow reflectors to the sides of the wheel, somewhere not covered by my legs. This is required for bikes according to Swedish law, but as far I know it has not been any case about it regarding EUCs yet. Maybe the leds would be accepted as an option. However, I don't see any point in making them brighter. Daytime you are clearly visible anyway and when it's dark your leds shine just enough I think.

4 hours ago, Johey said:

I'm considering adding yellow reflectors to the sides of the wheel, somewhere not covered by my legs.

I have added yellow reflective tape on the sides of my wheel, and white reflective tape at the "front", red at the "back" as the law demands. It does not seem that the Norwegian laws have counted for vehicles without distinct front and back ends :P. It is however legal to drive a vehicle in reverse, but then you must give way to everybody else. So I must look down to see what way my wheel is pointing, and eventually turn it around before I can claim my right of way :D. I am going to learn to ride backwards, so then I can just turn around and ride backwards if the wrong end should be pointing forward, and can then legally claim my right of way ;)

ks-16-built-inn-stand.jpg

@Frode, that looks nice! Perhaps you could add red and white in both directions. Depending on how the law is written, maybe it doesn't say anything against having red forward and white reverse, as long you also have it the other way around. :)

1 hour ago, Johey said:

@Frode, that looks nice! Perhaps you could add red and white in both directions. Depending on how the law is written, maybe it doesn't say anything against having red forward and white reverse, as long you also have it the other way around. :)

Yes! And if I get stopped by an overly eager cop I can rip of the ones he dislikes and ride on. :P

Archived