Automatic arm signal for direction changes (prototype)

Reivax

Here is a first draft for an automatic blinking signal that switches on when you extend one arm to signal you are about to change direction, much like bicyclist do (but do they ?)

I must admit it's ugly, big and clumsy.

I wanted to use a lipo battery so that it's rechargeable instead of disposable... A button disposable battery would allow to make something much smaller...

A Velcro is used to stick it to the wrist protection I'm using when riding my wheel.

What do you think, is it worth the trouble ? I don't really think it is... :(

20160605_114931-1024.jpg

20160605_114937-1024.jpg

20160605_115114-1024.jpg

6 minutes ago, esaj said:

Interesting... how does it work? Is that a mercury-tilt switch?

Yes it is. The only ones I had handy have a 3mm range, so they are too sensitive, I ordered longer ones that should work better, may be using two serialized to eliminate more unwanted switch-on situations. I also ordered switches that do not use mercury, but I never tried those, we'll see.

The main issue here, to me, is the size of the whole stuff... But I really don't like disposable batteries.

6 minutes ago, Reivax said:

Yes it is. The only ones I had handy have a 3mm range, so they are too sensitive, I ordered longer ones that should work better, may be using two serialized to eliminate more unwanted switch-on situations. I also ordered switches that do not use mercury, but I never tried those, we'll see.

To eliminate unwanted turn-ons, maybe it should use just a button instead? Think Spider-Man... ;)

WebShooters-in-use.jpg

Ie. a button on your palm that you press with your fingers.

The main issue here, to me, is the size of the whole stuff... But I really don't like disposable batteries.

How about large low-voltage supercaps? Something like 10F / 5.5V could already give out around 5.5mAh of capacity going from 5V to 3V and are about the size of a few button cells. I assume that the circuit shouldn't need much amperage/voltage with just a couple of leds and something like a 555-timer?

http://lab.bitluni.net/cap

Well it's more fun if it's totally automatic :).

I don't want it to be a nuisance to install (wearing wrist protection is already tiresome)

I also thought about using a small neodium magnet, set on the side of the thumb (enclosed in some kind of ring), that would switch a Reed switch on the side of the case which would then need to be set nearer to the thumb.

I don't even use a 555, just self blinking leds. By sampling my stock I was able to find pairs that blink in sync. An alternative would be to use a blinking one serialized with a fixed one, but then would require a higher voltage source

Not sure supercaps would save space, but then I've never used any. Here I get more than one full day of 24hrs blinking on one charge.

Archived