Gotway 18" Fast Speed/Low Torque (Half a) Range Test

Shady Tools

Screenshot_2015-06-16-14-46-28.thumb.pngScreenshot_2015-06-16-16-00-26.thumb.pngI went out on a range test today on my Gotway 18". I decided to go down an old disused railway line into town. My friend joined me by riding my bike.

Last night I charged it until the charger switched off. Then I thought I would see if I could to top it up this morning - it charged for another 1 ½ hours. 
Just before my friend arrived I flew up to the shop & back (about 0.5 miles) & it took another 30 minutes charge.

Before we left I was 13 stone 13 without my bag & 15, 1 with my bag. (We swapped bags on the way back which probably made me around 15 stone 6).

We travelled an average of  7.35mph & were mainly on pavements or flat paths.

When we got to 6.7 miles I flickered onto 3 lights (out of 4) whilst going up a steep hill that led off the canal. As soon as I was back on flat ground it went back to 4 lights.

At 9.6 miles I was on 3 lights & the soles of my feet were quite numb.
I then had to race 1.63 miles in less than 10 minutes to pick my daughter up from after school club.

I dropped her off at home & then went back to meet my friend who was heading to mine. He was less than a mile away & I averaged about 14.56mph on this short journey (unfortunately I forgot to pause it for a few minutes after I had stopped), then raced around to the chippy (about 0.5 miles) to get some food for him. This sent me down to 2 lights.

I am guessing that I can get around 15 - 20 miles going at my average (alone) speed of 5 minutes 30 seconds per mile & around 40 miles riding at a slower pace.

I'm hoping to go out soon with my dad (who is much fitter & rides bikes a lot more often/further, to give it a more in depth review...

Below are some pics & videos from the day.

Screenshot_2015-06-16-14-20-21.png

Screenshot_2015-06-16-16-00-07.png

Screenshot_2015-06-17-01-46-37.png

Screenshot_2015-06-17-01-48-06.png

Screenshot_2015-06-17-01-48-29.png

I'd expect you'd get more mileage than 15-20 miles (24-32km) on 850Wh, of course the temperature, uphills, accelerations etc. always play a role... the battery indicator may not be linear, so it's possible you can ride longer from 2 leds to 1 led vs. 4 leds to 3, but not sure. Only way to really test it is to ride it all the way to empty.

I'm planning on going for a ride with my dad. He's much fitter & rides much further & faster. I will get shipping better idea from that journey :-)

​Please post the results also after that... I can get over 20km (12.5+ miles) with the 264Wh on Firewheel (granted, I'm lighter than you and the wheel's lighter than MSuper), even with lots of acceleration, high speed riding and climbing, if there aren't strong head winds. And the batteries have been used for several hundred cycles by vee before I bought it off from him, so they probably don't have the full 264Wh charge anymore.

Weight and terrain makes a lot more difference than people seem to realise.

That's why cheap generic entry level wheels are able to run alongside better quality wheels when passed on down to your kids. They'll never have the top speed but range and climbing ability with a lightweight young rider will be equal to the likes of Ninebot and Gotway ridden by a heavier adult.

Archived