Locking up your EUC in the city

Jayzao

Do you have any suggestions for locking an EUC up in the city?

On the EUCs with a gap in the rim, it seems that a cable and U-Lock may be the most appropriate arrangement. 
What are other folks doing?

Most important part of any securing method would be high visibility.

Deterring is the most effective.

You can bet on thieves disliking a pain in the ass.

Oh, and parking it close to other, easier things to steal also helps a bit.

Edited by mmk

I have a vibration alarm in case anyone try to touch it, its alarm will go off! Also, I'd use a cable lock which also has an alarm sensitive to touch. Having done all these, is there still a risk? Yes! Even when alarms goes off, no witness or on one take action against the theft, what good are these security measures? If you do, park EUC in a good neighborhood would help, have it not too far from you would help... but the risk is always there! I wouldn't park my $4000 Sherman S anywhere and leave it! However, I'd consider locking my old KS16S and leave it, a smaller lost if stolen. 

Edited by Scubadragonsan

39 minutes ago, Jayzao said:

Do you have any suggestions for locking an EUC up in the city?

On the EUCs with a gap in the rim, it seems that a cable and U-Lock may be the most appropriate arrangement. 
What are other folks doing?

You know those locks can be broken under 1 minute..

I would never leave my wheel locked somewhere - where bystanders could access it. (Workplace - where you know everyone and have cameras.. That's different story.)

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Scubadragonsan said:

I have a vibration alarm in case anyone try to touch it, its alarm will go off! Also, I'd use a cable lock which also has an alarm sensitive to touch. Having done all these, is there still a risk? Yes! Even when alarms goes off, no witness or on one take action against the theft, what good are these security measures? If you do, park EUC in a good neighborhood would help, have it not too far from you would help... but the risk is always there! I wouldn't park my $4000 Sherman S anywhere and leave it! However, I'd consider locking my old KS16S and leave it, a smaller lost if stolen. 

We have vibration alarms for our scooters, the motocycle ones that clamp to the brake rotor.
But EUCs don't have rotors. What type of vibration alarms do you have?

Keep in mind that any lock passed through your rim will burn your board if someone turns it on…….. 

I bring my wheels inside, except sometimes my beater v11 which I can lock through the frame. I also took a black garbage bag and made a small slit then reinforced it with tape to keep it from splitting. If you throw that over your wheel and lock it, it mostly looks like a bag of trash sitting on the sidewalk. Almost everyone just assumes that’s what it is and walks past. I live in a large city……

• Like 1

EUC manufacturers could simply include a switch inside their app, that disables all buttons on the wheel including the on/off button, when you go to park it or put it in long term storage, that way the wheel isn't broken if some random person tries turning it on while it's locked...

A work around (at least for Gotway wheels) is to enable the travel mode, IDK if other manufacturers use that. 

18 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Keep in mind that any lock passed through your rim will burn your board if someone turns it on…….. 

I bring my wheels inside, except sometimes my beater v11 which I can lock through the frame. I also took a black garbage bag and made a small slit then reinforced it with tape to keep it from splitting. If you throw that over your wheel and lock it, it mostly looks like a bag of trash sitting on the sidewalk. Almost everyone just assumes that’s what it is and walks past. I live in a large city……

I love the way you think! This is not a bad idea as long as the wheel is attached to a light post or similar. Otherwise people could potentially open the bag and roll the wheel away. 

I think the best solution currently is locking the wheel to a light post or similar + black garbage bag over the parked wheel. But personally I've never had to park my EUC, at most I have to trolley it. I also wouldn't leave the EUC on the street because there's no recourse if someone takes it. 

Edited by xiiijojjo

1 hour ago, xiiijojjo said:

I love the way you think! This is not a bad idea as long as the wheel is attached to a light post or similar. Otherwise people could potentially open the bag and roll the wheel away.

Thanks! I actually still lock my wheel as well as the garbage bag urban camo. The lock just goes through the suspension frame through a slit in the bag then around a post. When it’s leaned against a pole you really down see the lock much, unless you really examine it. Most people pass by. 

I live in the middle of town, if I got any errands here I just walk on foot. 

If I'm going to the mall I use a folding lock through the rim, my helmet and a metal fence near one of the entrances.

There's a camera pointed there and the people that steal stuff here are mostly the junkies in town, they are too lazy to go to the mall as its maybe 20 minutes outside of town on an euc.

It makes sense you guys would bring it inside with you however my Sherman S is mostly covered in mud and scratches and it feels safe enough outside the entrance where there's a lot of foot traffic.