Where is the progress ?

Sholphin02

Hi everyone,

i ride a Gotway Tesla (V1.5) for years now, and might need to replace it soon (Batteries are weak)

But I don't see where is the progress on the new wheels, and I fail to find a suitable replacement. (Most of the wheel are too heavy or too low on power)

image.png.b479408145b20e250a5a0ef8142058af.png

Could someone help me to undertand ? And point me a comparable wheel for my next purchase ?

Thanks

Edited by Sholphin02
  • Like 2

19 kg is really hard to beat. I would consider a wheel with suspension if you can tolerate the extra weight.

Falcon seems like the closest to your old wheel, personally I would order a Blitz instead as it has over twice the battery capacity. And is still light compared to the top models

• Like 1

That's the thing - there is no progression in lightweight department.. Gotway is the only one who keeps making somewhat lighter wheels: Falcon, A2, Mten4/5. (Inmotion will release soon E25) Rest of manufacturers don't care about small/weak wheels. It's more profitable to make 3000$ wheel instead of a 1000$ one. Man hours used to build one expensive wheel or one small/cheap is about the same. Less warranty cases.. Also most hobbyist want biggest and fastest wheels out there. Where guys like us - who don't need speed or range are competently ignored by other manufacturers. (Not to mention you get ~3x heavy wheel releases yearly and maybe one lighter wheel every second year..) Also they are missing chance to get new riders, etc.. It's easier to start out on smaller wheels without gear, than spending 3000$ on big wheel and extra $$$ on gear. Not even knowing if they actually gonna like riding in first place. Where wheel around 1000$ and slower without gear riding can be easier achieved.

(Most new riders that don't have a EUC friend, etc.. Will not know anything about EUC - how to ride, etc.. And not every place has that special store, where people can try them out. Learn, etc.. And no - most people don't wanna buy used wheel from 201x year. And even new from 201x year.)

And place where EUC can't be ridden on streets in first place.. Just on sidewalks/bike lanes. You don't really need 100mph wheels there. :)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 5:35 PM, Sholphin02 said:

Hi everyone,

i ride a Gotway Tesla (V1.5) for years now, and might need to replace it soon (Batteries are weak)

But I don't see where is the progress on the new wheels, and I fail to find a suitable replacement. (Most of the wheel are too heavy or too low on power)

image.png.b479408145b20e250a5a0ef8142058af.png

Could someone help me to undertand ? And point me a comparable wheel for my next purchase ?

Thanks

Wait a month or so and see what the Inmotion E25 has to offer. Someone on this forum said it is signifantly lighter than the Falcon and it has suspension. It may have less go and range than the Tesla but you never know. 

Inmotion's e20 seems indestructable with its double skin plastic shell. The smooth egg shape helps but the skin gives and weighs way less than the metal wheels that have become the fashion. I suspect the E25 may have a similar construction. 

If it is any good it may spur KS and Begode to make a competitor.

EUCYou/Delight Device modified his Tesla into a beast of a wheel. He put in a 100 Volt MB and extra batteries and turned it into a flyer.

Edited by DavidB

Wait a month or so and see what the Inmotion E25 has to offer. Someone on this forum said it is signifantly lighter than the Falcon and it has suspension. It may have less go and range than the Tesla but you never know. 

Yes I have high hopes for this one. Still afraid to have a very low power motor :/

Inmotion's e20 seems indestructable with its double skin plastic shell. The smooth egg shape helps but the skin gives and weighs way less than the metal wheels that have become the fashion. I suspect the E25 may have a similar construction. 

If it is any good it may spur KS and Begode to make a competitor.

The E20 is a joke. It is not an EUC in my book. More like a toy.

EUCYou/Delight Device modified his Tesla into a beast of a wheel. He put in a 100 Volt MB and extra batteries and turned it into a flyer.

A big THANK YOU for the video link. I was not aware that such modifications were possible. Maybe I should look into that if nothing new fits my needs.

i rode a tesla V2 for 5 yrs and now im riding a lynx which is double the weight, has suspension, a BMS, and is comfortable to ride seated.  what 'progress' are we talking about ?  if its progress in the sector of eucs that are the same weight as the tesla,  there is limited 'progress' such as added suspension.  im getting the sense that you are in the same school of thought as funky.  perhaps this is where your topic is pointing at.

i myself was abit surprised and fearful of the added weight and height of the lynx which is abit bigger and heavier than a tesla.  but since i come from riding a tesla for quite a few years,  i can say without a doubt,  the 'heavier' and more 'powerful' lynx that i chose as my next euc is a great choice.  dont misunderstand what im saying - riding a heavier euc does take abit more strength;  its challenging currently cause i just got it a few months ago.  but my oh my,  the smooth ride and the ease of acceleration is something i will never get from my stock tesla V2.  and the seated riding is just damn fun and provides a rest to my old legs.

if you have not already tried test riding any of the newer, bigger eucs,  please do so to see the difference.  it may prove to be an intimidating experience at the beginning, but if you try several different current performance models,  you will get the hang of it and hopefully,  you may change your perception of the larger eucs.

who knows what the manufacturers are bringing into the next season... if they had been paying attention to funky's demands and specs on a smaller, lighter, and powerful euc,  perhaps one of the manufacturers will finally provide the euc community with exactly that.  but for my commuting needs and occasional trips to suburban malls,  my lynx is a better ride than my old tesla.  and to top that off,  i can also comfortably ride on trails as well. 

Hi Bpong. Thanks for this answer. Maybe I should have said progress in the compact wheel segment.

I did try the Lynx, the Patton and the V14. But have you tried to take the train/subway with it ?  lol ^^

My EUC need to fit easily between my legs or under a train seat. 

Obviously the ride on my Tesla is much less satisfactory than your lynx but I can bring it with me everywhere. ;)

Yes, it seems that I have the same expectations as Funky's. It's probably us european who tends to dislike big and heavy EUC (Like Cars/Trucks).  And yes, I do hope to have someday a manufacturer who listen to all customers (including us from old Europe). Gotway is the only builder to do small EUC, but Mten4,5, A2 or Falcon are either too heavy or too low on power. No progress made since the T3 unfortunately :( 

Safe rides :) 

Edited by Sholphin02
  • Like 1

hey Sholphin02 !

"Obviously the ride on my Tesla is much less satisfactory than your lynx but I can bring it with me everywhere"

you're forgetting that my main ride before i got my lynx, is the tesla V2.  i rode it everywhere, and the last few years leading up to my lynx purchase, i rode it in vehicle traffic.  when i was euc shopping and testing other higher performance eucs,  my initial response was that these machines are bigger,  heavier, and more awkward to manually roll around than my tesla V2.  after i made the purchase of the lynx,  i was fearful that i made the wrong purchase cause the lynx is abit bigger, and heavier.  but after riding it in traffic and keeping up with it,  and being able to travel further,  i can put up with the cons of owning a larger euc.

my reply was not to diss small eucs.  it was to describe why i went to a larger euc.  i had no problems with my tesla V2 other than its inability to keep up with downtown traffic.  aside from that, its a great euc.  i do sincerely hope that both you and funky will finally find that one euc that fits all your requirements !!!

cheers !

bp

Quick question @Sholphin02 Around your parts - you can ride with euc in traffic? Around my parts it's banned and i personally don't actually wanna ride with cars. And on sidewalks you don't really wanna be going 50mph. That's why i prefer lighter wheels.

Also i don't hate big wheels. I'm 280lbs heavy and actually one of those 100lbs wheels would be great fit for me. I hate the weight. As i LITERALLY need to carry my wheel many times true day. No i can't push it! That's why i don't wanna go over 25kg. Otherwise i would have bought for my first wheel one of those big wheels.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Sholphin02 said:

Hi Bpong. Thanks for this answer. Maybe I should have said progress in the compact wheel segment.

I did try the Lynx, the Patton and the V14. But have you tried to take the train/subway with it ?  lol ^^

My EUC need to fit easily between my legs or under a train seat. 

Obviously the ride on my Tesla is much less satisfactory than your lynx but I can bring it with me everywhere. ;)

Yes, it seems that I have the same expectations as Funky's. It's probably us european who tends to dislike big and heavy EUC (Like Cars/Trucks).  And yes, I do hope to have someday a manufacturer who listen to all customers (including us from old Europe). Gotway is the only builder to do small EUC, but Mten4,5, A2 or Falcon are either too heavy or too low on power. No progress made since the T3 unfortunately :( 

Safe rides :) 

You probably won't need to take the train or subway once you have a bigger wheel. Your ask reminds me of @houseofjob who is eternally looking for a tesla v2 replacement for his use case. 😁

Edited by Ronin
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ronin said:

You probably won't need to take the train or subway once you have a bigger wheel. Your ask reminds me of @houseofjob@houseofjob, eternally looking for a tesla v2 replacement. 

Counter argument - what if he needs to get to next city and only thing connecting both cities are highway/railroad?

You still would need to take it. :D (Example taken from my life.) I also would like to have modern Tesla wheel.. Which could go 35mph.

Edited by Funky

2 minutes ago, Funky said:

Counter argument - what if he needs to get to next city and only thing connecting both cities are highway/railroad?

You still would need to take it. :D (Example taken from my life.)

agreed...good point...

8 minutes ago, Ronin said:

You probably won't need to take the train or subway once you have a bigger wheel. Your ask reminds me of @houseofjob who is eternally looking for a tesla v2 replacement for his use case. 😁

i do have a 2018 tesla V2 for sale, but im in toronto....sigh....

I'm in a similar seat. I have four wheels that are all 5 years old and I can't find a reason to upgrade.

The only thing I could offer you is to perhaps keep the tesla and get a second wheel to choose from.

I used to take a lot of public transport with my lightweight wheels but nowadays I don't. Only occasionally buses, but all rail type transports have all banned even tiny electric vehicles where I live, SO.....

I just ride a slightly larger wheel the whole way to work and such...

By larger I don't mean a 30/40kg monster but a 23kg 19x3in gotway. The tire is so nice and comfy to ride even at speeds up to about 25mph/45kmh.

If you want to go above that then you need serious protection and I'd say suspension (depending on where you live).

How good are your knees? I feel like if you have a good leg suspension practice (which a tesla will give you) you should perhaps consider staying on 18x3 or 16x3 non suspension wheels before going suspension, if weight is a concern and you don't wish to go much faster that ~25mph.

I feel I'm pushing speeds that I promised I wouldn't explore, years ago. So that's not good. I'm still reluctant to get a faster wheel because of the time lost of putting on the extra gear, and the little time I'd actually save on the ride with a faster wheel.  I wouldn't be surprised if on my 12km commute a faster wheel takes longer than a 19in non suspension with only a bike helmet, than motorcycle helmet, tons of pads. And only rarely pushing speeds above 25mph/45kmh.

(very dense city)

• Upvote 1