Shut down after jump

Damarafaka

My ninebot one e+ decided to shut-off after landing after a jump. I was leaning back a little when landing and noticed that the excess of force I was inflicting (trying not to fall off) seemed to make the motor "give -in", making the wheel go a foot forward although I was leaning back on the pedals, as if the force forward was too much. The power button did not work, not even after a couple of minutes. Only after disconnecting and connecting again the battery did the ninebot come back to life. I noticed also the usual puncture damage caused by the battery casing in a couple of points, nothing too deep. Not sure if the problem, or shut off is caused by the excess force, some sort of voltage overpower or the slight battery puncture damage and a rough landing...

Sounds like the regenerative braking tried to push too much current into the batteries and the battery protection circuit kicked in. Was the battery fully charged when it happened?

22 minutes ago, Shoe73 said:

Sounds like the regenerative braking tried to push too much current into the batteries and the battery protection circuit kicked in. Was the battery fully charged when it happened?

@Damarafaka, I would agree with @Shoe73 especially if the battery needed to be reset. However, how long was the EUC in the air as the wheel would attempt to accelerate and a long enough jump might cause it to shut down due to overspeed. I would have thought it would reset OK afterwards though.

If both happened, I.e. The wheel spun up whilst in the air followed by the regenerative braking on landing then the current being pushed into he battery would have been even higher.

Thanks for the answers. The battery was probably around 90%. The wheel did not have a chance to spin as I was practicing a normal jump over a skateboard helmet on grass surface, the problem was I was leaning back, not correctly executed, when landing, pushing wheel forward although I was leaning back on pedals. It seems as you say that the protection circuit kicked in caused by overcurrent. As if trying to force ninebot back when leaning forward. Is disconnecting and connecting back battery necessary to restart bot after battery protection takes place or do you just have to wait longer? Could ignoring a high speed limit warning, quickly and violently trying to keep accelerating although way over top speed, cause the protection circuit to leave pedals limp momentarily? I think this has happened to me.

Waiting wouldn't do it but if you had plugged in the charger that would have worked as well to reset the battery from its protected state. 

The high speed acceleration issue is not related to the battery protection though, that is just overpowering the wheel. It is already giving you its maximum power because you're going so fast, then when you lean forward it requires more power to keep you balanced, but the wheel can't do it. That's what gives you the limp pedal feeling, usually followed by a spectacular wipe out.

On 19/04/2016 at 7:15 PM, Damarafaka said:

My ninebot one e+ decided to shut-off after landing after a jump. I was leaning back a little when landing and noticed that the excess of force I was inflicting (trying not to fall off) seemed to make the motor "give -in", making the wheel go a foot forward although I was leaning back on the pedals, as if the force forward was too much. The power button did not work, not even after a couple of minutes. Only after disconnecting and connecting again the battery did the ninebot come back to life. I noticed also the usual puncture damage caused by the battery casing in a couple of points, nothing too deep. Not sure if the problem, or shut off is caused by the excess force, some sort of voltage overpower or the slight battery puncture damage and a rough landing...

Hi @Damarafaka, I previously encountered a similar issue after hopping/jumping with my E+. In my case, the battery cover came out of position and I seemed to have jolted the battery connector (resolved by pushing the two connectors back in.) When practising big jumps (my PB is now 48 cm), I now normally jump "up on to" things (E.g. up on to a box or up a couple of steps) rather than "over" things, as jumping right over something is obviously much more punishing for the machine. The other thing you have to take in consideration when doing jumps is the tire pressure. If it's too low you risk "pinch punctures" or damaging the wheel rim. Both of my (2) punctures have come after jump sessions, and have noticed that the tire pressure is reduced after a jump session even if I haven't got a puncture. RE: the battery casing damage - other posts on this site have suggested methods to reduce/prevent this from occurring. 

Archived