Hey @slippyfeet how would compare the MTEN5 to your MTEN4, is it worth the upgrade? i mean ride and feeling wise? the reason i'm asking is because the MTEN5 is now on preorder in Canada, $1799 seems like a lot, but i really enjoy the MTEN4 its still my fav wheel (even though i have a falcon now) and if it enhances the experience it may be worth it. 

Just received this A2+/Mten5+ board, courtesy of eWheels. I'll be putting this into my Mten5 to compare the difference in performance. 

This board is used on Mten4P, Mten5+ (aka Mten5P) and A2+ (A2 Pro), only difference is firmware. 

image.thumb.png.e61948a0f7e745294a4d114fd807fd5f.png

Edited by Tep
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tep said:

Just received this A2+/Mten5+ board, courtesy of eWheels. I'll be putting this into my Mten5 to compare the difference in performance. 

This board is used on Mten4P, Mten5+ (aka Mten5P) and A2+ (A2 Pro), only difference is firmware. 

I'm eager to hear about the difference, i'm thinking of picking up a MTEN5 (becuz i really enjoy the MTEN4). I watched your review. Do you have a MTEN4? ride wise do you think the mten5 would replace the MTEN4 if you have them both?

Mten5 is significantly more stable due to its weight, and so it's much easier to ride. I had an Mten4 and did not enjoyed riding it very much, plus the 4 can bend out of shape pretty easily after a crash since it's made out of sheet metal.

15 hours ago, Tep said:

This mTen5+ board has more mosfets, but it doesn't look like it has any heatsink on it.
This suggests that the heatsink update is only on the cover/handle plate.
@Tep Did you get a new cover/handle plate with the new heat sink, along with the new control board?

10 hours ago, Asphalt said:

This mTen5+ board has more mosfets, but it doesn't look like it has any heatsink on it.
This suggests that the heatsink update is only on the cover/handle plate.
@Tep Did you get a new cover/handle plate with the new heat sink, along with the new control board?

No new top cover for me, just the board. But I think it should be good to verify whether or not this upgraded board will perform better than stock Mten5 board in the same condition. 

Will put it in this Saturday and see how it goes.

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2024 at 6:59 PM, Tep said:

No new top cover for me, just the board. But I think it should be good to verify whether or not this upgraded board will perform better than stock Mten5 board in the same condition. 

Did you get your results from the updated mten5 board yet?

On 8/28/2024 at 11:12 AM, kintips said:

Hey @slippyfeet how would compare the MTEN5 to your MTEN4, is it worth the upgrade? i mean ride and feeling wise? the reason i'm asking is because the MTEN5 is now on preorder in Canada, $1799 seems like a lot, but i really enjoy the MTEN4 its still my fav wheel (even though i have a falcon now) and if it enhances the experience it may be worth it. 

It wasn’t the wheel for me, so I got rid of it after 2 weeks. It is powerful and fast for its size, but it’s too heavy as an “mten” wheel, I found myself preferring my 16S more for the situations I used it in. I didn’t like the mten5 in grass, the pedals are wayyy too low to ride on anything other than pavement. But that’s my opinion, I don’t let my wheels (or pedals) get any scuffs or damage.

It just comes down to your personally needs and what you’d use the -5 for

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2024 at 2:59 AM, Tep said:

@Tep , do you have some feedbacks to share with us according to the performance difference you feel between the two versions of the MTEN5 board? 

Unfortunately the A2+ board does not fit the Mten5, despite being the same board that was used for Mten5+. Mten5 uses a few different connections (hall sensor & front light/speaker) that the A2+ board doesn't support, so I had to send the board back to eWheels. 

Hello guys, I have a couple of curious on this wheel, does it have how much do you put the PSI? also it is normal that if I set the maximum speed at 45 kmh, then the second level alarm sounds at 30 kmh? 

Anyone getting a popping/grunting sound out of their Mten5+, when climbing small'ish hills, I'm getting a popping sound on mine, sort of like when you lean into a small wheel at a stop or almost dead stop you get that grunting sound?  I'm riding in hard pedal mode "off road".  My mten mini and old 600wh A2 climb the same hills without any issue for perspective.  I was expecting a LOT more zip out of this wheel tbh.

2 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

Anyone getting a popping/grunting sound out of their Mten5+, when climbing small'ish hills, I'm getting a popping sound on mine, sort of like when you lean into a small wheel at a stop or almost dead stop you get that grunting sound?  I'm riding in hard pedal mode "off road".  My mten mini and old 600wh A2 climb the same hills without any issue for perspective.  I was expecting a LOT more zip out of this wheel tbh.

How is the mten5+? Does that new controller change anything? Is the heat still an issue?

20 hours ago, kintips said:

How is the mten5+? Does that new controller change anything? Is the heat still an issue?

I need to look at the heat but doesn't seem bad, I will confirm tomorrow.  After riding it more, I think Begode went a little conservative on the mapping or firmware, maybe in an effort to keep temps down, I really don't know.  I've been riding it back to back with my early 40t A2 and am hard pressed to tell any difference in power, I was sort of thinking MCM5 torque or relatively close to it but sadly, it's quite a bit less torquey than the MCM5, still a cool/solid little wheel.

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/4/2024 at 5:12 PM, RetroThruster said:

I need to look at the heat but doesn't seem bad, I will confirm tomorrow.  After riding it more, I think Begode went a little conservative on the mapping or firmware, maybe in an effort to keep temps down, I really don't know.  I've been riding it back to back with my early 40t A2 and am hard pressed to tell any difference in power, I was sort of thinking MCM5 torque or relatively close to it but sadly, it's quite a bit less torquey than the MCM5, still a cool/solid little wheel.

Thank you i appreciate the response. The reason i'm asking is because my dealer is having a sale on the MTEN5 and i've been thinking if i should buy one lol. 

3 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

which dealer?

eevees, i still don't know if i want to pull the trigger lol

30 minutes ago, kintips said:

eevees, i still don't know if i want to pull the trigger lol

Are you adding the Mten5 to your collection, or to replace one of your existing wheels? 

4 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Are you adding the Mten5 to your collection, or to replace one of your existing wheels? 

maybe add to my collection (if i were to sell on of my wheels it would be the MTEN4 or falcon). but the reviews don't really give me the idea if its worth the upgrade. There isn't really a lot of review on this wheel either, not like the lynx which has tons of reviews on it. 

that's why i appreciate the feedback on this forum

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

i caved and picked up the mten5 lol will let you know how it is. I might sell my falcon if its way better, and apparently the construction of the MTEN5 is better than the falcon

2 hours ago, kintips said:

i caved and picked up the mten5 lol will let you know how it is. I might sell my falcon if its way better, and apparently the construction of the MTEN5 is better than the falcon

Oh wow, the growth of your collection is picking up steam.  😀

Are you still going to do jump parks with these small wheels? 

3 hours ago, kintips said:

I will follow......really interested to have your feedback. I can't decide between Falcon, Mten5 and maybe V25 for my next lightwheel.

9 hours ago, techyiam said:

Oh wow, the growth of your collection is picking up steam.  😀

Are you still going to do jump parks with these small wheels? 

Yeah i think i'm ready to go down stairs now lol, but i can't find small set of stairs that don't lead onto a major road lol

7 hours ago, Sholphin02 said:

I will follow......really interested to have your feedback. I can't decide between Falcon, Mten5 and maybe V25 for my next lightwheel.

i really love my mten4 and if i can get 50km/hr (on the MTEN5) i would be happy. i keep riding the beeps on the MTEN4 which isn't good. I really use my mten4 for commuting in busy places people say its only a play wheel, but it can do more than that. 

• Like 1