Commuting in the rain - ...

Posted (edited)

Hi friends, I used to ride the Z10 couple of years ago - any weather.

As you know here in UK mostly it's rainy days...

I remember I was alright.

I didn’t have any rain cover (I bet I should have...)

Now I have Begode EX, and the power button/charging dock is at the top, covered by flimsy rubber cover, that's not sealing the interior firmly.

I'm wonder of how many of you are commuting daily, and if you don't mind to share your unique ideas regarding the rain proof mods please?

Thank you in advance.

Art.

IMG_1380.jpeg

Edited by PogArtTi

13 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

Hi friends, I used to ride the Z10 couple of years ago - any weather.

As you know here in UK mostly it's rainy days...

I remember I was alright.

I didn’t have any rain cover (I bet I should have...)

Now I have Begode EX, and the power button/charging dock is at the top, covered by the flimsy rubber cover, that's not sealing the interior firmly.

I'm wonder of how many of you are commuting daily, and if you don't mind to share your unique ideas regarding the rain proof mods please?

Thank you in advance.

Art.

Experience of heavily rainy day for riding 30 minute. All of the vehicle as follow had experience for riding on rainy day, are Inmotion V12, Kingsong 16X, Begode EX30, EB commander, and Begode MTen4. 

Firstly, checking the position of motherboard and seal all possible cracks with waterproof tape.

Secondly, checking the position of charging port and provide some kinds of sheltered items to block the rain. 

Third, put on clothes for your big boy, you can protect against rain on the side.

Fourth, do not charging the battery before it is dry.

You are welcome.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

15-25 Litre Waterproof backpack cover over the entire top bit of the wheel. One of those elasticated ones that will grip the shell nicely yet still have enough slack in it to grip the handle through it when you need to. 

Edited by Cerbera
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, YCC said:

Experience of heavily rainy day for riding 30 minute. All of the vehicle as follow had experience for riding on rainy day, are Inmotion V12, Kingsong 16X, Begode EX30, EB commander, and Begode MTen4. 

Firstly, checking the position of motherboard and seal all possible cracks with waterproof tape.

Secondly, checking the position of charging port and provide some kinds of sheltered items to block the rain. 

Third, put on clothes for your big boy, you can protect against rain on the side.

Fourth, do not charging the battery before it is dry.

You are welcome.

Good preparation first!

I got it @YCC 👍

Very smart advice, thank you so much!

Art.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

15-25 Litre Waterproof backpack cover over the entire top bit of the wheel. One of those elasticated ones that will grip the shell nicely yet still have enough slack in it to grip the handle through it when you need to. 

Thanks @Cerbera 👍

So just an *umbrella😉will do if I got caught up by the rain 👍

Thank you for advice of what size of the rain cover to look for!

I’ve placed the order for 20L cover, let see how it fits over the top.

# and some small hooks too, to hold the cover firm 👍

Best wishes.

Art.

IMG_1568.jpeg

IMG_1566.jpeg

Edited by PogArtTi

On 5/5/2024 at 1:59 PM, PogArtTi said:

Begode EX

Oh boy...
Gotway EX is one of the LEAST water resistant wheels on the market.

• Hollow bore is designed in such a way that a droplet is directed directly to your bearings. And bearings are not stainless, they are made from normal, corroding steel.
  • A wheel has a gigantic hole in the middle for cables. And it's not protected against water at all.
  • Multiple smaller ways for water to get through the screw holes.
  • Water will leak through the trolley handle.

All of those problems are on the "inside", wearing any cover will do squat to protect your wheel. The water is taken in by the tires.

Read through this thread to see what you've gotten yourself into. :efef77eaf5:

It's possible to get rusty bearings even in just as little as 500km.

A good news is that you can mod it to be way better! :D
So far almost 2000 km in an average Polish weather, including snow.
I'll share my 3D prints in like a day. Don't ride stock Gotway EX in the rain unless you like changing bearings. ;)

signal-2024-03-06-152745.jpeg

signal-2024-03-06-152630.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Also, once you have been out in the rain let it dry out standing upright or leaning against a wall. Don't lie it down as it dries. There have been cases of cut-outs where water has subsequently dripped where it hadn't already got because wheels were left on their sides whilst drying out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

Also, once you have been out in the rain let it dry out standing upright or leaning against a wall. Don't lie it down as it dries. There have been cases of cut-outs where water has subsequently dripped where it hadn't already got because wheels were left on their sides whilst drying out.

If wheel was wet and it drops sideways - all it takes is one small water droplet to make your day very, very bad..

If it happened while wheel was OFF. Simply better don't turn it on for that day, if you don't need to ride anymore.

Let it sit there and dry off over night. (Even if possibility of water getting in the shell is quite small - better be safe than sorry.)

I'm also using 15L shower cap. :) 

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Lols, no don't panic - it's not THAT bad. I had an MS3 (which would later evolve to become the EX) which was absolutely fine in the rain for 5 years and I made no effort to waterproof that in the first 3 ! But now we have the benefit of hindsight, it is of course wise to do all the mods suggested further up the thread to keep the water out of yours !

Once you've done those it'll be fine, probably until it's new wheel time, and some of the latest generation are much better in that regard...

• Thanks 1

Gotway/Begode control boards are coated so a water drop shouldn't interfere, but...

I'd still open the control board compartment and check for dried watermarks, excessive dust. When moisture enters it usually leaves a mark. You can trace the entry point by just looking at the dust/debris inside. Seal it off. 

It doesn't need to be perfectly clean but if you see corrosion near the board area it isn't a good sign. Like on internal metal fittings etc. There's also a heatsink exposed in the wheel well area separated by a gasket (on many wheels). Check that it isn't leaking. 

If road spray is getting into the internal compartment it should ideally be sealed but it definitely needs to be far away from the board area. 

• Thanks 1

On the EX you have vertically mounted packs. I'd check around the bottom cells in those packs for water spots or corrosion. 

I haven't owned a hollow motor so I don't know if water ingress is a problem there. I've heard that it can happen on hollow motors more frequently.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Lols, no don't panic - it's not THAT bad. I had an MS3 (which would later evolve to become the EX) which was absolutely fine in the rain for 5 years and I made no effort to waterproof that in the first 3 ! But now we have the benefit of hindsight, it is of course wise to do all the mods suggested further up the thread to keep the water out of yours !

Once you've done those it'll be fine, probably until it's new wheel time, and some of the latest generation are much better in that regard...

Thank you @Cerbera for lifting me up 😉👍

I’ll defo improve mentioned parts, to make them being less affected by the water splash…

😅

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

On the EX you have vertically mounted packs. I'd check around the bottom cells in those packs for water spots or corrosion. 

I haven't owned a hollow motor so I don't know if water ingress is a problem there. I've heard that it can happen on hollow motors more frequently.

Thanksa lot  @alcatraz for pin pointed suggestions.

Reading all posts has made me aware of importance to prepare well before I go to swimming pool 👍👍👍

Cheers.

Art.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PogArtTi said:

Reading all posts has made me aware of importance to prepare well before I go to swimming pool 👍👍👍

Cheers.

Art.

No! No! For swimming pool you would want Begode A2, nothing else.

Or if you are alright using your wheel one time, afterwards having a wonderful bonfire. :) Then you can use any wheel..

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Funky said:

No! No! For swimming pool you would want Begode A2, nothing else.

Or if you are alright using your wheel one time, afterwards having a wonderful bonfire. :) Then you can use any wheel..

I’ll keep your professional advice deep in my mind for sure my friend 😅👍👍👍👍👍

Cheers 😉

• Like 1