Does EUC pedal height affect handling / difficulty of learning?

Is there a reason why the pedals are X number of inches below the axis of the hub motor?  I've noticed when going up onto sloped sidewalks that if I take the approach at not a sharp enough angle sometimes the bottom of my pedal will get scuffed, and I sometimes will end up in an unwanted ejection.

Most EUC's seem to have the pedals about 3-4 inches off the ground?  What would happen if the pedals were flush with the axis or even above it?  Would handling and balancing be a lot harder?   You see people standing on top of the EUC box doing stunts, but I they don't turn very sharply.  I wonder if there were pedals on top to spread the feet out a bit whether the wheel would be a lot different to control.  I guess lowering the centre of mass is a good thing, but what results would different pedal height positions be?

It is the quality of the EUC, that makes it feel responsive, stable, smooth etc. 

The height of the pedals does change the physics a little. 

Imagine euc with pedals at 1 meter high. You want to accellerate from zero, so you lean forward.But the higher you are, the further you need to lean forward for the same accelleration. A sudden stop would become problematic. (Also the pedals would be above the center of the axis, which makes controlling it all a different ballgame.)

My understanding is that 1 inch difference doesn't do much (especially with larger diameter wheels) with respect to driving experience. The diffences will be compensated for by the controlling software. Stepping onto higher pedals may be somewhat more difficult, although the technique for that is the same. 

The reason that pedals are at a certain height is, i think,  more practical: 1) they must not touch the ground in taking a turn and 2) any added height to your body full length makes for more inconvenience with low hanging branches, low openings etc. 

Thinking a bit more about it, I can see that keeping the pedals low also keeps the fall height low.  Having pedals at the height of the axis would likely be more problematic to get onto and balanced properly.  By lowering the pedals that does effective shorten the lever forces on the body of the wheel I think (it's been way too long since my high school physics classes!) so the forces applied likely are easier to balance for the wheel (?).   It would be interesting to see a video of a wheel with adjustable pedals that allows one to have them at different heights just to see what the result is.  What is the maximum height that a wheel can balance?  Say you take three Chinese acrobatic children that stand on each other's shoulders.  Would a wheel be able to work like normal with an extreme height as long as the weight doesn't exceed its limit?  What is the largest practical diameter wheel that would work and what differing characteristics would it have?  Say they made a 26" wheel with spokes?  How about a fat tire wheel for off-roading like some of the fat wheel bikes?  Would a fat wheel make going over rough terrain easier like a mountain bike?

https://gearjunkie.com/fat-bike-trend

Archived