Begode Extreme or Begode Master V4

Strictly for street riding. Don't do curbs, stairs, drops, jumps, or any kind of stunting. Don't need to go faster than 40 mph. Will ride under all weather conditions, whether night or day.

Begode Extreme or Begode Master V4?

• Confused 1

There is an argument that the Extreme's high torque C40 motor and 130 mm suspension travel are a bit OTT / unnecessary for 'uneventful' road riding, and were put there to give the machine more off-road capability, but I think, given the choice, with money not being a particularly important factor, the Extreme has several QoL advantages over the Master, mostly being its lower Centre of Mass, and its included grab handles / moderately effective stock pads. I believe not as much needs doing to it to make it properly weatherproof either.

But, having said that, the Master is considerably cheaper now, a very refined and world-tested design, and much improved since early iterations, and a LOT of people, including me, are very happy with theirs.

Tricky decision - definitely good arguments on both sides of that one.

• Like 1

I have a Master V3, soon a V4 too. Had the Extreme for 5 weeks on vacation in China and used it 850km on and offroad. 

For me the Master is still my favorite wheel. 

I would only change to a Extreme when I ride mostly slow in crowded places or doing slower technical trail riding with lot of steep inclines.

If not, the Master (with 30mm lowered pedal hangers) is my favorite wheel for street and faster offroad. 

A 20" wheel diameter is more important to me than more suspension travel, although I mostly ride offroad.

For a street rider it's even more important, unless you prefer faster acceleration and braking in trade off more stability. 

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of course the Master need more upgrades to make it better, but for your needs you don't have to make all those upgrades. 

Power-Pads - Extreme and Master pads are shit. 

Lights - both blind others, Extreme is good for the rider and bad for others. Master is bad for both (not bright enough) 🤣

Suspension - Extreme better than Master, but for your needs, Master should be okay. 

C40 motor - is just more heavy and no real advantage imho 

Motor bearings - both are shit and you have to replace it for sure very soon if you ride in rain. My Extreme had 270km on the clock on arrival and bearings already dead. My Master bearings died 2 days after the first(!!!) carefully contact with water to clean the wheel from mud. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Master is probably better. But extreme have few advantages: faster charger 5vs3 amps, better suspension, smart bms, handles. Hope Master v5 will have those upgrades and then will become perfect wheel.

Edited by Rafal
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Rapha Assunção said:

I'm in doubt between Master V4, Extreme, V14.

My use will be urban. Walk on the streets of the city, go to work 5km away and after working hours walk with the wheel through the city.

I'm 1.67 and 64kg.

Which would be the best option?

Will this be your first wheel?

Is there a reason why the Patton is not on your short list?

Edited by techyiam

11 minutos atrás, techyiam disse:

Esta será a sua primeira roda?

Existe uma razão pela qual o Patton não está na sua lista curta?

I accept suggestions:)

Do you think Paton is better than the options above? Could you justify your answer?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rapha Assunção said:

I accept suggestions:)

Do you think Paton is better than the options above? Could you justify your answer?

I am not saying that the Patton is necessarily the best among the four for everyone, but it could be for some, depending on one's personal bias and preferences. 

At the very least, the Patton is a strong competitor in this group. .

Firstly, most people would agree that the Patton has the best suspension for your use case, especially if you prefer a buttery smooth suspension action.

In addition, the Patton has been out a while so the issues are known and have been addressed. 

Your body weight is on the lighter side, and the Patton is quite responsive for acceleration, braking and cornering, even for lighter riders. Most will find the Patton to be an easy wheel to ride. The Patton is not an easy wheel to over-torque, relatively speaking at low speeds. And the riding dynamics is intuitive and neutral.

Moreover, the build quality, and crash worthiness of the Patton are considered above average. Weather protection is good too.

And lastly, out-of-the-box, the Patton is basically ready to ride without needing mods.

For your use-case, it is hard to go wrong with a Patton. 

However, the other wheels are good wheels too. You may have special reasons as to why you would prefer one of the other wheels. If the opportunity exists, definitely ride them and compare them back-to-back. You may never know which wheel you would have strong affinity towards after a test ride.

Edited by techyiam

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 10:02 PM, techyiam said:

Strictly for street riding. Don't do curbs, stairs, drops, jumps, or any kind of stunting. Don't need to go faster than 40 mph. Will ride under all weather conditions, whether night or day.

Begode Extreme or Begode Master V4?

I recently purchased the Begode Master V4 from Clarkpads. I'll update this post when it arrives on Wednesday this week.
https://clarkpads.com/products/clarkpads-race-ready-v4-begode-master-50s

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jayzao said:

I recently purchased the Begode Master V4 from Clarkpads. I'll update this post when it arrives on Wednesday this week.

I recently saw that, but it was already sold out

That's is a good value.

I was looking to upgrade my beloved T4, and had narrowed it down to the Patton, Extreme and V14. I ended up with a Master V4 because I didn't really want to spend $3k, and the sales lately have been insane. The fourth gen Master is the best version that has ever been made, and I kinda doubt they need to evolve it any more. But I'd bet the Extreme V1.5 is still better thought out... it is literally generational evolution from the Master chassis. I'm new to the 18" rim and so far I'm not loving the experience. Relative to the T4 the Master is way harder to motivate, 20 lbs too heavy, very cumbersome, the V-pedals are killing my feet, the pedals are as high as a step-stool, and the suspension travel a little short. Some of this took me by surprise, but I need to tune it to my tastes and spend a month getting used to it. I think once I get comfortable I will love it; on paper it has everything a person could want, and the build quality is miles from the first version.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, drader said:

I was looking to upgrade my beloved T4, and had narrowed it down to the Patton, Extreme and V14. I ended up with a Master V4 because I didn't really want to spend $3k, and the sales lately have been insane. The fourth gen Master is the best version that has ever been made, and I kinda doubt they need to evolve it any more. But I'd bet the Extreme V1.5 is still better thought out... it is literally generational evolution from the Master chassis. I'm new to the 18" rim and so far I'm not loving the experience. Relative to the T4 the Master is way harder to motivate, 20 lbs too heavy, very cumbersome, the V-pedals are killing my feet, the pedals are as high as a step-stool, and the suspension travel a little short. Some of this took me by surprise, but I need to tune it to my tastes and spend a month getting used to it. I think once I get comfortable I will love it; on paper it has everything a person could want, and the build quality is miles from the first version.

Probably a good choice.
I have had issues with my V14 since it emerged from the box.

On 5/20/2024 at 1:01 PM, Jayzao said:

Look what arrived here in the office yesterday. 
It feels different than the V14. 
I have only ever ridden the Inmotion V12 and Adventure V14.
I need to relearn what little I learned over the past month. :)
Pads will be here today. 

image.thumb.png.11c08c223795f0c0e6c4f41d4645868f.png

I recommend moving that shock pin to the upper hole. The new shock and linkage is pretty good! The shock feels way better built, doesn't lose air, and the linkage is a lot closer to 2:1 in that upper hole. If you are having trouble getting used to the high pedals just keep the suspension soft for now, so it is lower.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drader said:

I recommend moving that shock pin to the upper hole. The new shock and linkage is pretty good! The shock feels way better built, doesn't lose air, and the linkage is a lot closer to 2:1 in that upper hole. If you are having trouble getting used to the high pedals just keep the suspension soft for now, so it is lower.

I assume the shock is under pressure, and I would need to let air out to adjust the mounting position.
Has anyone looked at putting a Fox shock or substitute shock on these?
I don't need it yet, but I like customizing stuff. 

It feels as though the pedal height on the Master is similar to the Adventure V4 height.
One is at the office, and the other is at home, so I'll check. 

My Master V4 arrived last week and I have modified it in the same way as my Master V3. The most important changes for me are the replacement of the linkage and a reasonable air shock (I have a RockShox Monarch RT3 DebonAir with max volume reducer) and 30mm lower pedal hangers. Then I can even be happy with 70mm suspension travel.

I installed my Clark Pads today.
Does anyone know of a decent video for installation of the Clark pedals or removal, replacement of the default Begode pedals?

image.thumb.png.23e23e8454bdb346a4fd258b0b5892ed.png

Nice colour coordination ! But is it just me or is that the weirdest positioning of those pads ? Do your legs really fit into that geometry ?!

On 5/24/2024 at 12:30 AM, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

My Master V4 arrived last week and I have modified it in the same way as my Master V3. The most important changes for me are the replacement of the linkage and a reasonable air shock (I have a RockShox Monarch RT3 DebonAir with max volume reducer) and 30mm lower pedal hangers. Then I can even be happy with 70mm suspension travel.

Is the Master V4 significantly better than your Master V3? If yes, in what ways. Thanks.

No, I had yet to cut the front and rear pads.
I had the same thought. "How the heck will my stubby fat legs fit in there?"
image.thumb.png.ba0cd6792051ec30ef13bbbeb6c53fd3.png

After experiencing both the V4 and Master for a considerable distance, I must say, the V4 is a fantastic trail rig, but the Master, it's like driving a sportscar. I'm truly impressed.
Don't get me wrong, I love them both; however, the suspension and tires are drastically different. Hopefully, I can take them both out on the trail this weekend. 
Does anyone who owns a Master know where the weight-to-shock pressure chart exists? 
At 320lbs with me, a 215lb rider seems supple and responsive around the city. 
The unit shipped with zero or very little pressure in the shock. I was fortunate not to damage anything while waiting for a higher-pressure pump from Amazon.
When I pressurized it yesterday the wheel came up an inch or so. (whoops)

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 11:38 PM, techyiam said:

Is the Master V4 significantly better than your Master V3? If yes, in what ways. Thanks.

I've only done one short 27 km tour and it wasn't particularly aggressive. I didn't notice any noticeable difference at normal speed. No better acceleration, nothing you could feel. If I didn't know it myself, I wouldn't have realized that I was riding a new V4 instead of my V3.
A comparison of an old log file of the same route from the Master V3 50E also showed no difference to the Master V4 with 50S. The voltage drops were also identical. However, I did not demand a lot of power on either trip and therefore did not exceed the power limit of the 50E cells. Perhaps a difference in the voltage drop only becomes apparent at higher loads or speeds above 70 km/h or if the battery is nearly empty?

- The Display ist much brighter and bigger, but unfortunately less readable in sunlight than the old display.
- Just like the old linkage, I didn't test the new one and replaced it immediately, just like the shock.
- The biggest improvement is the new upper frame from the EX30, which now matches the rest of the suspension and results in the sliders no longer jamming significantly. I could not achieve any improvement with shims. Unfortunately, this was necessary on the V3, at least if you prefer to ride with correctly tightened screws in the upper frame.
- V4 weighs a few grams more, but I forgot to weigh it before the modification. Should be around 500-1000 grams. 

Here is a comparison of the identical tour. On one of them only the first 1500 meters are missing, because I started the recording too late. The battery was charged to 100% and balanced on both.

First picture is 50E
Second picture 50S

Master V3 50E.jpg

Master V4 50S.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I've only done one short 27 km tour and it wasn't particularly aggressive. I didn't notice any noticeable difference at normal speed. No better acceleration, nothing you could feel. If I didn't know it myself, I wouldn't have realized that I was riding a new V4 instead of my V3.
A comparison of an old log file of the same route from the Master V3 50E also showed no difference to the Master V4 with 50S. The voltage drops were also identical. However, I did not demand a lot of power on either trip and therefore did not exceed the power limit of the 50E cells. Perhaps a difference in the voltage drop only becomes apparent at higher loads or speeds above 70 km/h or if the battery is nearly empty?

- The Display ist much brighter and bigger, but unfortunately less readable in sunlight than the old display.
- Just like the old linkage, I didn't test the new one and replaced it immediately, just like the shock.
- The biggest improvement is the new upper frame from the EX30, which now matches the rest of the suspension and results in the sliders no longer jamming significantly. I could not achieve any improvement with shims. Unfortunately, this was necessary on the V3 if you like, at least if you prefer to ride with correctly tightened screws in the upper frame.
- V4 weighs a few grams more, but I forgot to weigh it before the modification. Should be around 500-1000 grams4

Here is a comparison of the identical tours. On one of them only the first 1500 meters are missing, because I started the recording too late. The battery was charged to 100% and balanced on both.

First picture is 50E
Second picture 50S

Master V3 50E.jpg

Master V4 50S.jpg

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. That was very helpful.