Lynx or patton too hard to start on?

Im looking at getting my first wheel here soon. A little over a year and a half ago my friend got an ks s18 and I was able to put a little over an hour of trying to ride it ( over the course of three sessions spanning a couple weeks ) before I ended up moving and not riding again. By the last session I was able to take wide turns and cruise comfortably at about 8-10 mph. Im now in the market for a wheel and while I technically live in a city with biking lanes and lax sidewalk regulation on PEVs, It is not a large metropolitan area with roadways having speed limits ranging from 15-45 mph most around 35-40mph . While I don't plan on having to ride in the main rode way alot there are areas where I would need to cross or ride in them for a little distance.  I also spend a lot of time outdoors on trails and anticipate that's where the wheel would see at least 30% of its use. 

Because of all these factors I really think the lynx would be ideal in both eventually giving me a comfortable speed buffer around faster moving cars and performing off road. My question then is how realistic would is it that I be able to learn on it or the patton with out destroying the wheel due to the weight, torque and petal height. I have great balance and great leg strength. Thank you in advance!

• Like 2

You should be able to relearn it fairly easily. Wrap your wheel in foam for the first bit of learning. Get the wheel you really want and figure it out. Unless you have the budget and likely will want a small wheel as well. Then grab a light learner. Just be prepared to out grow it quickly and want it for errands and teaching others. You sound like you already have the fundamentals down, but just out of practice. 
The patton and Lynx are close to the same weight you will need to decide what features are more important to you. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

You should be able to relearn it fairly easily. Wrap your wheel in foam for the first bit of learning. Get the wheel you really want and figure it out. Unless you have the budget and likely will want a small wheel as well. Then grab a light learner. Just be prepared to out grow it quickly and want it for errands and teaching others. You sound like you already have the fundamentals down, but just out of practice. 
The patton and Lynx are close to the same weight you will need to decide what features are more important to you. 

thank you for your response. Best adhesive/fixture/Velcro and foam for adding extra foam protection? 

7 hours ago, unkle said:

Best adhesive/fixture/Velcro and foam for adding extra foam protection? 

'Baby bumper strip' is the normal go-to here for EUC protection padding, because it comes in wide strips in various colours that are easy to cut to length in any direction, and, if being installed temporarily while you learn, comes with it's own double-sided sticky tape, which is good enough to hold it in place for a month or 2 and fairly easily removeable afterwards, although you might need a bottle of that 'sticky stuff remover' to get any residue completely off when you decide you don't need it anymore.

image.png.b2dbcf32bb108418c54106a9c5d3de93.png

My wheel had a lot of areas that I didn't feel were protected enough even when I could ride, so I installed this more permanently, and eminently re-usably by gluing sticky velcro (industrial extra grip genuine velcro, which almost always sticks better than non-brand alternatives) to it instead of the supplied tape. This means it can be easily and instantly removed for when you need to get inside the machine for servicing and tyre changes etc...

Here's what mine looked like before I got proper grizzla pads for it... where I am using bumper strip to cover potential rain gaps and exposed plastic battery boxes...

image.png.133e8743f1061b23498613620b1f987d.png

Btw, I know it looks cool but the TSG Pass helmet shown there is not a suitable helmet for riders of big, heavy, fast machines, so don't waste money on one of those - get a proper motor bike helmet instead ! I like the Scorpion ADX-2 these days.

• Like 2

I would also suggest using some foam blocks (from packaging or sport equipment like yoga blocks) or many layers of the baby strips (or some old sport mat) to have more protection on corners where the wheel is most likely to hit. Considering the weight the impact is quite strong, and the more you can dampen it the better (including for internal components).

• Like 1