Stopped by the Cops? What do you say?

Knoxious

So.. I am perpetually nervous riding around Bristol on my IPS Zero that I am going to get stopped by the police and told off.

My good freind was riding a lot in London and usually got inquisitive police, and now twice condemning police. 

Who is here in the UK has been stopped by police to give you grief... what do you say to them to talk them down?

EUCs are not allowed in public places, on streets and sidewalks in almost all countries. So there is just no arguing when you are stopped by the police and been told off. Be friendly and pretend not knowning the regulations. If necessary try hard to make them let you go and not confiscate the EUC. If they don't charge you, you are just lucky. You can't do more. 

If you ride on vehicular roads and are stopped by the police then sorry can't help you as only licence and registered vehicles are allowed to use them.  So expect a fine.

In cases where you are stopped in off-road places such as sidewalks and bicycle lanes.  You can confirm with police if they mention it that as the EU has an engine it can be classed as a motorize vehicle, but also advised them that under current laws a vehicle is not recognize as only having one wheel.  

This is a general assumption response to the laws in most countries.  As everyone in this forum is from different countries it is better to check exactly what is the law where you live.

I try to stick to the pavement so not to effect my license if stopped.  

I think they have as much right to use the pavements as bicycles, skateboards, scooters etc.  I.E. NONE

As they don't stop bikes, skaters etc, why would they stop a EUC so long as the rider isn't taking the p1$$.

So I guess my response would depend on what side of the bed I get out off.  Could be anything from "Really! I didn't know!" through "But cyclists do it" to "Can't catch me copper!"

20 minutes ago, Peter Harrison said:

I try to stick to the pavement so not to effect my license if stopped.  

I think they have as much right to use the pavements as bicycles, skateboards, scooters etc.  I.E. NONE

As they don't stop bikes, skaters etc, why would they stop a EUC so long as the rider isn't taking the p1$$.

So I guess my response would depend on what side of the bed I get out off.  Could be anything from "Really! I didn't know!" through "But cyclists do it" to "Can't catch me copper!"

Haha "Can't catch me copper!" ... thanks for that!  One police traffic officer in NYC came up to me and told me "Your thing could get confiscated by another cop but not by me.  I don't really care.", was essentially what I got out of it.  It's still in a legal gray area here too but at least there's a state senator that sees the value of EUCs and is trying to create an exception in the law in New York.

Good luck in the UK ... it seems much riskier to ride a EUC for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016/3/21 at 10:04 AM, Knoxious said:

^drunk?

might be..

8 minutes ago, Bush said:

might be..

Also, China will set up new raw regarding to the self balancing scooter...

That's mean that there will be "EU"road? or the others...

Most EU had been died within last year. Glad that we cooperation with solowheel from 2016-2029.

http://sports.letv.com/video/24989926.html

But the link within Mandiam, I not sure that you side can get it or not...

Simillar that the orbit option will be mass product within this year, Around Sep...

Thanks god, I'm must take one...

Probably the main thing is to ride responsibly,  taking care in public areas and not zooming about.  That way you are less likely to draw negative attention.  Hopefully the police won't bother you.

Archived