MCU based (? no pots) chargers voltage regulation?

null

I have a MCU based charger, where there is no potentiometers to adjust volts / amps / cut. (it is handled by the micro controller)
Its output is nice and steady for being such a no name unit, but the end Voltage is almost 1v too low.*

Is there any way of adjusting the voltage without specialized hardware to reprogram the MCU?
I suppose not but asking just in case.

Tiny overview of the unit: It is light and compact, claiming 8A which it probably doesn't do. The solder is not too bad and it seems reasonably made. Fairly few components. The GX16-5 output current on only two pins.

Too bad it seems stuck on a too low voltage.*

* This compared to all my other 100.8V chargers and two EUC voltage measurements. All these could be wrong and this one right but that is little plausible.

image.jpeg.28ab9b7179c2c993211668cf02b7a42f.jpeg

IMG_0968.jpg.8a12b0a5e516d797f7d3f243a74e6845.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg.bcfb10a7e508eb582744cc88b7b4be05.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg.109ad52e8a153a39fbe38562e1ff06bd.jpg

Edited by null

I don't think there's a programmable device in that charger... just some simpler ASICs.
You might learn more about them if you can read their markings and find their datasheets.

The voltage setpoint is usually made by trimming the feedback to some comparator. If you've looked all over and found no adjustable pots, then it's a permanent component and you would need to identify and desolder it. Not fun.

Most of us don't bother adjusting this sort of cheap charger... and if you're using it for fast-charging during a ride, 99.5V sounds plenty high to be useful?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

I don't think there's a programmable device in that charger... just some simpler ASICs.
You might learn more about them if you can read their markings and find their datasheets.

Thank for the reply.
It's true it might not be MCU based, I thought it was because the other charger I have with no pots uses some sort of microcontroller.
There is no documentation stating any MCU but the sales pitch being "high frequency intelligent" and the output actually being very stable I thought it might.

50 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

The voltage setpoint is usually made by trimming the feedback to some comparator. If you've looked all over and found no adjustable pots, then it's a permanent component and you would need to identify and desolder it. Not fun.

Yes, there is no pots, I looked all over.
It must be as you say, and it would indeed not practical for me to replace components to set the voltage..

59 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

Most of us don't bother adjusting this sort of cheap charger... and if you're using it for fast-charging during a ride, 99.5V sounds plenty high to be useful?

Sure, it can be enough for road trips, I guess that's what going to happen.
I had hoped to be able to use it as a daily charger (with balancing) for a Sherman OG (it is within normal speed) but so be it..

• null changed the title to MCU based (? no pots) chargers voltage regulation?