Battery does not retain charge, help please!

triplesilk

16 minutes ago, triplesilk said:

Just to confirm, there is only one connection to and from the battery - a yellow connector with thick red and black cables either side. The charging cable going into the motherboard (or whatever it's supposed to be called) and not straight into the battery.

Then (some) of the cells are definitely dead and you should change the pack...

16 minutes ago, triplesilk said:

Just checked the battery again using the red and black cables again and I get 17.5V DC and 23.9 AC.

I just tried to test a block of 4 cells - these sort of flop out so I can get to it. Using the metal bits by the white cables I get 3.4V. I guess that is about 20% of the overall reading for 20% of the cells.

There are three white cables from each of these blocks of 4 cells? I assume you measured 2 blocks of 2 parallel cells in serie?

Or other way round - each of these 4 blocks have on one side a connection of all 4 cells, on the other side there is one connection of 2 cells and another connection of 2 cells. And you measured between the two white cables coming from the connections of 2 cells?

if so you found a pack with dead cells.

49 minutes ago, esaj said:

I was thinking more along the lines that the meter "sees" the RMS-value and tries to display the peak-value. But I'm not sure, never needed to do AC-measurements really :P   Well, maybe a long, long time ago in school. 

Normal "cheap" multimeters measure the peak voltage and assume a sine wave AC voltage. True rms meters are (were at least) really expensive.

But since i can't think of a reason for this strange values of @triplesilk's measurements i tried to measure a battery with my multimeter once in DC and AC. AC just showed 0V - which i also would expect and what makes sense!

So maybe, @triplesilkit's also your multimeter which has quite some problems... at least for AC measurements

• Upvote 1

Just for fun, I measured the block of 4 cells again. I get 3.43DC and 0AC. 

The cells seem to be connected in funny ways though, depending on where I put the multimeter points on the main block I do get something for AC.

The annoying thing is that new batteries are expensive and I'm pretty sure that lots of the ones that claim to be Samsung aren't really. 

cells1.jpg

cells2.jpg

4 hours ago, triplesilk said:

Just for fun, I measured the block of 4 cells again. I get 3.43DC and 0AC. 

The cells seem to be connected in funny ways though, depending on where I put the multimeter points on the main block I do get something for AC.

Could be a fault from your multimeter, imho.

The annoying thing is that new batteries are expensive and I'm pretty sure that lots of the ones that claim to be Samsung aren't really. 

That's why brand wheels are not as cheap as generics - cheap generics use bad/reused batteries to save money. You just can have good luck and get a good charge of this batteries...

But thats how they can sell a whole wheel for the price normaly a high quality battery pack would cost..(almost)

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I have a fotowelt electric unicycle everything is the same 100-240 volts but the amps for fotowelt is 36 I have a 24 volt adapter for scooters replacement adapter I wanted to be sure it works for what I'm doing I don't hear the machine buzzing when charging which is what it's supposed to do the last charger I had was in a backpack and was stolen  but it's still getting current because I brought it into the shop where I live and he used the prongs

• 2 months later...

The battery at 41.8 bolts should be fine.  This is a 40 bolt battery so it is charging.  Another way to test if it's charging is, while the charger is plugged in, torn in the hover board, where your normal probably green light is, once in and flat/ level. That light will it should be blinking most likely orange, indicating that it is charging,. If it doesn't do that then it could also indicate that your battery is bad,. Which it doesn't appear to be,. It could be that your charger port on the hover board is bad.  

Hope this helps. Dale