True "Mountain Bike" Style EUC

cegli

Yeah, that's a reasonable suggestion!  Especially if I can sell it again for a similar price to what I bought it at.

I'm not really worried about climbing much.  Any steep mountain bike style climbs are basically not do-able on a 20" wheel due to the roots/rocks, so being able to plod up a fire-road at 25km/hr is good enough.  I think most people who are worried about steep climbs are basically riding dirt-bike tracks or flow style tracks on their EUCs.  I haven't seen many videos of people riding MTB tech, probably because all the current wheels are pretty bad at it.

20in wheels are quite torquey. Wouldn't they be able to get around some of these mtb trails?

As some have said, maneuvering the euc will be tougher than a mtb so you'll unlikely be able to ride as fast on a trail if there are steep descents and/or zigzag turns.

Eucs might one day become a sort of hybrid between a cross motorcycle and a mtb. It'll be a heavy machine definitely. Going over terrain it means wider tires and lower tire pressures. 

Instead of focusing on what is lost in the transition of mtb to euc, imagine what's gained? An euc can climb extremely fast. I wouldn't be surprised if there are hillclimb races on the horizon. That would take some skill.

• Upvote 1

Hmm... Considering 36" wheeled unicycles are still the gold standard for long distance riding, I'd have to disagree that wheels can't get larger than 22.5" without sacrificing ergonomics.  It's just a trade-off, like everything in life.  With huge wheels, when you're carving, you let your entire body fall to the side.  It's quite a cool feeling!

@cegli You’re comparing apples to oranges. Unicycles are very narrow, it’s no big deal to have the tire come up near your crotch. E-wheels are now around 8 inches wide, and they can’t get much narrower (at least with the better suspension systems).

I too was very interested in even bigger wheels (hence why I started that thread). What changed my mind was owning an Abrams and suddenly I understood. That wheel digs into your upper leg, forcing your feet half way off the pedals. You can’t actually grip the wheel with your legs, since your calves don’t even touch it. The only way to combat this is to turn your toes outward at an extreme angle, which allows your calves to come in closer. However that’s just trading one ergonomic nightmare for another. The whole thing is very awkward and uncomfortable, and dictates how you have to stand.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

There's no reason a large wheeled electric unicycle needs to be designed that way.  As a thought experiment, imagine a 36" wheeled electric unicycle with plates at around the 16" point and all the batteries and control board below the pedals.  On top, you have a thin plastic shell, like a mud guard with more coverage, just to keep the tire/wheel from abrading you when you lean the wheel.  This has an additional stability advantage, since the weight is slung very low.

Just because the Abrams didn't have a great design, doesn't mean a good design isn't possible.

35 minutes ago, cegli said:

There's no reason a large wheeled electric unicycle needs to be designed that way.  As a thought experiment, imagine a 36" wheeled electric unicycle with plates at around the 16" point and all the batteries and control board below the pedals.  On top, you have a thin plastic shell, like a mud guard with more coverage, just to keep the tire/wheel from abrading you when you lean the wheel.  This has an additional stability advantage, since the weight is slung very low.

Just because the Abrams didn't have a great design, doesn't mean a good design isn't possible.

Have you ridden a 22" or bigger euc?

11 hours ago, cegli said:

Hmm... Considering 36" wheeled unicycles are still the gold standard for long distance riding, I'd have to disagree that wheels can't get larger than 22.5" without sacrificing ergonomics.  It's just a trade-off, like everything in life.  With huge wheels, when you're carving, you let your entire body fall to the side.  It's quite a cool feeling!

What is the problem you are trying to solve with a monster truck EUC?