Sunday Park Ride - Interesting events log...

Cerbera

I enjoy reading these ride reports. It reminds me that we use our wheels differently and we deal with different issues. It's good to know if I ever encounter something similar.

You think you've seen everything and then you come across something unusual on a regular ride. That makes things interesting.

15psi might stir up some critisizm, haha. Been there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

2. Confirmed to myself that 20 PSI was too much for trial riding - lots of trails have large rocks, and horrible loose gravel, so was particularly skatey and tippy when I got to those bits today. Actually chose to walk some of it because it was getting exhausting remaining upright and intensely concentrating to avoid the big horrible channels, and fallen branches etc. I am going back down to 15 PSI, which is what it used to be.

Say what? 😅

Don't you have a suspension wheel?

I ride really technical trails with 35PSI, I would never risk my rim doing that with 15PSI.

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I'm curious, do you use hard/med/soft mode? Do you find it more work? What about a short response time to rider input? It could come in handy in emergencies.

Medium mode for me. Started off in hard, and stayed there for 6 months, but I like medium slightly more, and it still feels pretty responsive to me...

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Say what? 😅

Don't you have a suspension wheel?

I ride really technical trails with 35PSI, I would never risk my rim doing that with 15PSI.

Well I do have a suspension wheel, but it is Master stock suspension on original geometry. So perfectly fine for taking out occasional bumps on roads and cycleways, but doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference on this particular rocky trail ! When there are constant ruts and rocks the size of your fist every 6 inches on a variable cushion of small chalky gravel my Master has what I can only describe as a bone-shakingly horrible time ! I try and avoid that route on the whole, but sometimes it's unavoidable if I want to get to the other side of the hill...

2 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Well I do have a suspension wheel, but it is Master stock suspension on original geometry. So perfectly fine for taking out occasional bumps on roads and cycleways, but doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference on this particular rocky trail ! When there are constant ruts and rocks the size of your fist every 6 inches on a variable cushion of small chalky gravel my Master has what I can only describe as a bone-shakingly horrible time ! I try and avoid that route on the whole, but sometimes it's unavoidable if I want to get to the other side of the hill...

I see, a good suspension wheel eats that for breakfast, it's like they are almost not even there.. 15 PSI is rather risky on that sort of terrain.

1 minute ago, Rawnei said:

I see, a good suspension wheel eats that for breakfast, it's like they are almost not even there.. 15 PSI is rather risky on that sort of terrain.

I tend to agree - I've been at just over 20 for a few weeks and am more than happy with that on roads and forest trails where it's mainly softer ground. I just can't get over how immensely skatey and twisty it gets on that particular stony trail. Ah well I guess I will have to wait for either the next wheel or upgraded shock / geometry when the seals in this one go before I get to see what proper suspension feels like ! :)