Acquisto primo monoruota (buying first EUC)

damians

Hello everyone, I would like to buy my first monowheel. I'm undecided between these two models: kingsong s18 v2 and kingsong s22 pro v2. There would also be the new s19 but I discarded it because it weighs only 2kg less than the s22 and is too tacky as it has totally useless Bluetooth speakers (but someone who buys the monowheel to listen to music??) not to mention the LED lights that they turn on and off. I would pay 2000 euros for S18 v2 while 2900 euros for s22 pro. I'd like to go off road once I've learned, not heavy off road with jumps and races to kill oneself but journeys in the countryside and mountains to enjoy nature. Weight only 60 kg and I am 1.78cm tall. For 900 euros more it would be better to get the s22 pro but those 10 kg more scare me a bit. I also read that the s22 is much wider between the legs than the s18 and therefore less manageable. I listen to your advice

• Like 2

• meepmeepmayer changed the title to Acquisto primo monoruota (buying first EUC)

I can't speak to the S18 variants, but the S22 (Pro) is wide, but you will get used to it. Also, you will get used to the higher weight soon enough. I also ride my MCM5v2 frequently but no longer have issues switching between the two.

Compared to other wheels in its size and performance class, the S22 Pro is lighter in weight with best-in-class suspension (if maintained) and more than enough power for most people.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, litewave said:

See also the post below for my solution to the top of the battery case digging into your legs.

It is highly recommended that you put some pads or padding (minimum 1/2" neoprene should also work) there before riding.

A thousand thanks!  So do you think I should buy s22 pro even though it's my first wheel and I weigh 137 lbs?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, damians said:

A thousand thanks!  So do you think I should buy s22 pro even though it's my first wheel and I weigh 137 lbs?

It has more to do with your core and leg strength. When I first started riding, I weighed 185, but after 7 years and six wheels, I'm now lean and mean! :D

I weigh only 155 now and have no issues with the S22. I think @Tawpie is in the same weight class as you but apparently had no issues with the S22.  There are at least a few others with S22s in the forum who have similar stats.

The S22 isn't really that big or heavy or fast, and it has lots of pluses. It's a complete package. However, one major risk is its braking - where it performs poorly.

For that reason, I can not recommend it for new riders like yourself.

Edited by litewave
  • Upvote 1

I'm still fairly new myself, but one thing to be aware of as well is that suspension wheels will be harder to learn on since the pedals are usually higher off the ground. It's not a big deal. I learned on an InMotion V11 (which has suspension), and did just fine. It just took me about a week to learn whereas I've seen others learn on non-suspension wheels in a day or two. I'm not trying to discourage you from suspension wheels, just helping to set your expectations, and understanding that you shouldn't get frustrated if it takes a week or two to learn. It'll be worth it in my opinion unless you have a thousand dollars sitting around just waiting to be spent on a learning wheel like the MTen4, or A2.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, skunkmonkey said:

I'm still fairly new myself, but one thing to be aware of as well is that suspension wheels will be harder to learn on since the pedals are usually higher off the ground. It's not a big deal. I learned on an InMotion V11 (which has suspension), and did just fine. It just took me about a week to learn whereas I've seen others learn on non-suspension wheels in a day or two. I'm not trying to discourage you from suspension wheels, just helping to set your expectations, and understanding that you shouldn't get frustrated if it takes a week or two to learn. It'll be worth it in my opinion unless you have a thousand dollars sitting around just waiting to be spent on a learning wheel like the MTen4, or A2.

A week?! I was watching videos before I pulled the trigger and I assumed I would be riding to work in a week's time. A month later I was going to work, but I legit almost returned it because I thought I would never be able to ride it. Then the next day it just clicked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

A month later I was going to work

Yeah everyone learns at a different pace depending on their background, height, weight, etc. I saw some guy teach a hot chick to ride (including free mounting) within 45min to an hour on YouTube. It was insane, but I've also seen people that took months to learn. I think aside from those other factors, where you try to learn to ride makes an enormous difference. Those that try to learn on grass for safety doom themselves to a lot longer training period. The best surface to learn on is a hard flat smooth surface. A parking garage is by far the best place that I've found so far because it provides you with a glassy smooth hard surface, and you have walls that you can use to help support yourself as you mount. I ended up using a sidewalk along a sound wall since one is near my house.

Edited by skunkmonkey
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 3:09 PM, litewave said:

I think @Tawpie is in the same weight class as you but apparently had no issues with the S22.  There are at least a few others with S22s in the forum who have similar stats.

You actually weight more than I do, but I'm a bit taller than 1.78 cm (<_< I'm a smart alec, yes I am).

I can do anything I want with my S22, its weight is totally manageable... my riding style is probably different than heavier riders because I have to throw myself around a bit more to get the same effect. I don't have any issue with how wide the S22 is—but then again it's not much wider than the 16X I learned on.

Being light weight is a huge advantage when riding—I get 25% more range than the 'normal' sized rider at the same speed just because my wheel is carrying less payload. You can secretly smile because you don't have to carry a 5 lb fast charger on group rides.

As far as the question of "is it too big to handle", check out EUC Girl's videos—she doesn't outweigh her S18 by much if at all and for her, the S18 is pretty wide.

On 9/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, damians said:

I am 1.78cm tall.

Pretty sure you are not 1.78 centimetre tall. :) 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:03 AM, damians said:

I'm undecided between these two models: kingsong s18 v2 and kingsong s22 pro v2. There would also be the new s19 but I discarded it because it weighs only 2kg less than the s22 and is too tacky as it has totally useless Bluetooth speakers (but someone who buys the monowheel to listen to music??) not to mention the LED lights that they turn on and off. I would pay 2000 euros for S18 v2 while 2900 euros for s22 pro. I'd like to go off road once I've learned, not heavy off road with jumps and races to kill oneself but journeys in the countryside and mountains to enjoy nature.

As a first wheel, I would consider the S19 over the S22 Pro. I would almost recommend the S18 since it is cheaper, lighter and much easier to learn to ride. However, the S19 feels like a quality piece, it is hard to recommend the S18 over the S19, unless your budget won't allow it.

Today I got to try a S19 and an Extreme in a showroom. I also got to try out a S22 (not Pro) newly unboxed.

I have to say, the S19 is a very polished 100V S22/Pro variant. It has friendlier ergos and was easier to ride. Did I say it felt very polished? The suspension felt really good. Mind you, this is from just jumping up and down and riding up and down a showroom. But it felt good.

On the other hand, I jump up and down on a freshly unboxed S22. What a disappointment. Its suspension action was terrible. I even set both compression and rebound damping to minimal settings. And the spring preload to zero; the spring was on the almost loose on the shock. I will need to spend elbow grease and money on this bad boy to improve things.

Yes, the S22 Pro has the roller slider, so its suspension should be closer to the S19. But it is wider at the top than the S19. I used to find the S22 too wide for my liking. But since I have been riding an Abrams, the S22 no longer felt wide. In real life, the Abrams feels much wider than the S22, because the width occurs at a higher height.

If this wasn't your first wheel, I would definitely consider out an Extreme. It has the ride characteristics of the EX30, so it felt like riding a mini-EX30, but with higher quality and refinement, plus more agile and lighter. The suspension action was smooth. Maybe not butter smooth like the Sherman S.

I find that the Patton, V13, Abrams, S22, S19 have ride characteristics that feel more natural for me. I can step on these wheels and just ride. Whereas, the Extreme, and EX30 have different ride feel. It would take me time to feel comfortable riding these Begode suspension wheels. I also find the V11, and OG Sherman have ride characteristics that feel foreign to me. So when you upgrade later on, you find that some wheels are natural for you to just hop on and ride, while other wheels may have a little learning curve. This is in addition to the big learning curve usually needed to move from a smaller wheel to a big wheel.

For a first time learner on an electric wheel, I would not recommend the S22 Pro. It would be difficult to learn on. But if you have natural talent and have balance related activity experiences, perhaps it would be a different story. Unless you have a need for a top speed higher than 60 km/h, I would consider the S19 over the S22 Pro. Or if you can wait even longer, the S16 could also be a candidate. Having said that, I think the S19 is still a difficult wheel to learn on for a person of smaller stature.

Another negative with the S19 is that it is currently a first batch wheel. Additionally, not many people have shared their ownership experiences yet.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1