Beware AliExpress/Loomo chargers

Planemo

I decided to buy what was advertised as an 8A charger for my EX30 from Loomo. It wasn't until after ordering that I noticed on one of the pics that the top had printed on it '1000w max' which at 134.4v is about 7.5A. I queried this with Loomo who of course said it would be fine..

The charger that arrived actually had 900w printed on it which with the best will in the world will only put out 6.75A and thats not accounting for losses. On arrival I again queried this and sent them a pic of the insides which had a '5' written on a piece of tape, so it didn't bode well. So anyway I fitted my usual volt/ammeter to it and surprise surprise it makes a top whack of 5.22A.

Cue many mails back and forward to Loomo and they gave me two options - send it back (shipping cost on me!) or a $30 partial refund which they wouldn't budge on.

Somewhat annoyed.

Looks like I will be investing in a server charger as I'm done with buying any more falsely rated chargers from China.

20230826_192825.thumb.jpg.baa04c23fac095ef24a537b6952f2b1a.jpg

What do you mean by 'right' charger? I don't trust any of them now unless its one of the server chargers (like the 'Roger' charger) or maybe one manufactured by Wate or possibly YZ Power. I originally planned to buy direct from YZ but their website seems to have shut down, or at least the link I had for them isn't working anymore. Wate didn't have anything in the 134.4v range which is a shame as I had one of theirs for my Z10 and it was a nice unit.

9 minutes ago, Planemo said:

What do you mean by 'right' charger?

By "right" I mean the charger that I intended to buy.

If I simply type in "134v charger", or "134v fast charger", as the search key words, the hits that come back are the type of chargers that you bought. It has the cheaper charger labelling. The charger that you bought is like a re-labelled 5A charger, or something like that.

I was wondering what keywords should one use to get search results that return back chargers that has real genuine specs, unlike the fraudulently labelled chargers.

8 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

Is it possible it does 8A when the pack is depleted as at 3.5v per cell = 112v, and then tapers off?

No, I did think that at fist but the taper would start well after 121v. Probably nearer 128v minimum I would think. Most chargers will start tapering just before max voltage.

This was an MSX 100v graph I generated:

175279093_chargegraph.thumb.jpg.208860d0740ba4e00e456c786b1d61a2.jpg

Maybe if there was a graph like this for the charger you bought, it would have helped. 

If I pick the point 12:40 to spec my charger I could call it a 600w charger even though it would only reach that output for a few seconds.

It clearly says 8A on yours and it's wayy off. That's a problem. The wattage difference maybe not so much.

15 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Maybe if there was a graph like this for the charger you bought, it would have helped.

Well...maybe, but then it wouldn't be a Li-Ion charger in the first place because all of them should behave as per the graph I posted, which for reference was for a common-garden 6A 100.8v YZ Power charger.

It clearly says 8A on yours and it's wayy off. That's a problem. The wattage difference maybe not so much.

The wattage is relative, but yes I think I know what you mean, the charger has 900w (max) on it which is indeed prob around 5A with losses. Stamping 8A on it (and selling it as such) is where it has gone wrong.

What about filing a claim? Obviously you got scammed. I'd just work with aliexpress to refund your money without returning squat.

Well yeah I guess maybe that was a possible route to go but I tend to be someone who avoids hassle like that. I just took the $30 partial refund to cut my losses and will never use Loomo again.

Sorry to hear it. 

Let me tell you about some dirty tactics used here in China. Let's say you buy a cheap item on Pinduoduo (like taobao, ebay) and pay 2 usd or whatever. Then if it turns out it's fake or totally wrong spec they ask you to return it and delay the matter, waste time. If you push your case through the claim system you can get your money back after 2-3 weeks. It's not hard but it's a hassle. You're thinking it's only 2usd, why waste the time updating the claim, adding replies to it every 3 days and keeping the ball going.

Here's the thing. As an express solution the seller says, "we'll refund you the money immediately if you give us a 5 star review". Ethical dilemma big time. Unfortunally many people take the express way out. Then the next guy gets trapped after reading positive reviews.

2/3 people probably don't bother asking for a refund.

Just to be clear. This does not reflect on people in general. I'm talking about scummy seller tactics. Those people are everywhere, not just in China.

Luckily, any market platform strives to protect the consumer. If there's a gap being abused today, it could be fixed in the near future. That's nice.